AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my search for a 7.1 with 6 towers and a center, I've come to realize that many center speakers are more expensive than their corresponding towers/floorstanders in the same brand and line. What would be the drawbacks to using a tower speaker as a center channel speaker in a HT setup with a projection screen (mounted "sideways")? I know that center channel speakers are explicitly designed for dialogue, etc, but I'm more concerned about their application for music. My thoughts would be that dispersion might perhaps be an issue. Any other problems? Center speakers usually have a higher low-freq cutoff than the towers they are matched with, probably due to the smaller cabinet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's actually better to have the same speaker for center as your mains, the only drawback is that floorstanders tend to be too tall to be under the screen.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Also, a floorstander doesn't have the same horizontal dispersion characteristics as a dedicated center channel. I'm not sure how important that is though.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Yeah but all center channel speakers are, and would hence have better horizontal dispersion characteristics, which seem to be important for the center channel.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you can do it then there is no better way. I salivate at the thought of having 3 fronts being the same but again you can't go wrong either way. I know that a lot of company's voice their center a little different then the rest of the setup. Some might like that and some might not.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I would have to "mount" my tower on a shelf and set the tower on its side, I imagine the shelf would cause some strange reflections. Perhaps mounting on shelf brackets would be the preferred way to do this?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I don't think it'll be a good idea to place your floorstanders horizontally. In fact I'd think it'll be a bad idea. Floorstanders aren't designed to be placed in that configuration.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Also, a floorstander doesn't have the same horizontal dispersion characteristics as a dedicated center channel. I'm not sure how important that is though.
A floorstander should have much better horizontal dispersion that a center channels with a MTM layout. Typical horizontally oriented center channel speakers have horrendous lobing effects when seated off-axis, and very wide vertical dispersion which causes excessive bouncing of sound off of the floor and ceiling. Generally speaking, you are far better off using a vertically oriented speaker as a center channel. The ideal, of course is to use three identical speakers across the front, however, this often requires the use of a front projection system coupled with a perforated screen.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
I don't think it'll be a good idea to place your floorstanders horizontally. In fact I'd think it'll be a bad idea. Floorstanders aren't designed to be placed in that configuration.
There is no physical reason not to place a floorstander horizontally. It will operate just fine. The major problem in this approach is that a horizontally placed floorstander or bookshelf will show highly asymmetrical horizontal dispersion, i.e., the sound will differ from the left to right.

At any rate, here is a nice brief analysis on the center channel's requirements by Ian Colquhoun, the founder and chief engineer of Axiom Audio.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure of the technical speak but center channel speakers have protection so that they do not interfer with the PQ of the display.

·
Registered
643 Posts
mmf, as do a lot of front channel speakers but I don't think that a person who has a TV will be using a tower as a center channel since there is nowhere to put it. Most people who do use one are people with projectors.

·
Registered
663 Posts
maybe this is a stupid question, but it's somehting i've often wondered. if you don't have the luxury of FP, why not send the center channel signal to 2 towers (that match the mains) placed right next to the tv. assuming shielding wasn't a problem, is there any reason this wouldn't work well?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
9volt, it will work. People have done that and obtained good results, although, as you can guess, the imaging can be a bit blurred depending on the setup.

And there is no such a thing as a stupid question, except for asking "Is this a stupid question?" :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.