AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please view at your own risk!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxoQG60pqQ

ARGH! My daughter (God bless her) wasn't watching where her growing arms were flailing and knocked over my right surround tower. I knew something was wrong when I stood it up and heard a large, heavy thud as something hit the bottom of the wooden frame. Opened it up and low and behold.. a giant magnet fell out (sortof).

My question is this.. what are my options?

1. Is this even remotely fixable? I tried forcing the 4 "pins" on the magnet back into the holes on the back of the speaker bracket and seemed to me like they had been bent\\warped enough from the force of the magnet ripping out of them that they wont be let back in gracefully. Also the copper coil is obviously not attached any longer and slides out from around the inner core when the magnetic force is strong enough.

2. If it's not fixable DIY-style, where can I find legitimate Polk R300 replacement speakers? I know some would tell me to upgrade my speakers or something like that, but I just want to know where I could purchase the EXACT same speaker that just broke here.

3. Would it be cheaper to just get new surrounds? I have some Polk R15's and some stock BIC dv62si bookshelf.. would using one of those pairs and just buying some stands\\mounts be a more cost effective solution?

4. What else can you tell me or suggest?

I'm pretty upset as this system is less than a year old and has been kicking in high gear these past 6 months, so all help and input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
The driver is not repairable because the voicecoil is severely distorted. I suggest that you contact Polk about a replacement driver.

OT: Wow! Hard to imagine knocking over a tower speaker with a flailing arm. I know I cannot do that with any of my speakers. I haven't tried but I do know the effort it takes to move them even a bit. Also, it seems that the magnet is only glued on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would second the previous post. I have a pair of Axiom M22s and I managed to damage the titanium dome in one of my tweeters a couple of years ago. I called up Axiom and I was sent a replacement tweeter for $35 CDN. Once I received the new driver, I screwed it onto the enclosure and voila, problem solved.

Long and short: No, you don't need to purchase a new speaker. Polk should be able to send you a new driver for a fraction of the total cost of a whole new speaker.

·
Registered
29,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjeyin /forum/post/17029440

I would second the previous post. I have a pair of Axiom M22s and I managed to damage the titanium dome in one of my tweeters a couple of years ago. I called up Axiom and I was sent a replacement tweeter for $35 CDN. Once I received the new driver, I screwed it onto the enclosure and voila, problem solved.

Long and short: No, you don't need to purchase a new speaker. Polk should be able to send you a new driver for a fraction of the total cost of a whole new speaker.

Maybe not, those R300's go for about $50 each when on sale at Fry's.

Look how much they are here.
http://www.electronics-expo.com/inde...tem&id=POLR300

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Polk's price is $60 per driver... and I understand that when you replace 1 speaker in a set its best to go ahead and replace both for sound consistency.. so that's $120. =/ The part # Polk gave me is RD7210-1 but I cant seem to find that ANYWHERE. Does anyone know of a compatible woofer replacement for the R30\\R300 towers? I saw these and they look almost identical:

http://www.google.com/products?q=Polk+MW6502&hl=en&aq=f

Does anyone know if those would work? Does anyone know of any compatible alternatives? I have a pair of old R15's sitting on top of the towers right now, but I'd rather have the towers working!

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
check the polk audio forums. Someone might be selling a R300 speaker...

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/

I've never heard that if one speaker blows you should replace the driver in the other speaker too. that seems like a waste of money to me.

I had a Energy center channel where one bass driver blew. I sent the speaker in and they only replaced the blown driver, not both. its been fine ever since and that was 8 years ago.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Is it just me or does that thing look like it was pryed apart?

Look at all the gouge marks. If it took an impact and seperated i would think the paint on the back of the basket would not be so gouged up like that?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/18131733

Is it just me or does that thing look like it was pryed apart?

Look at all the gouge marks. If it took an impact and seperated i would think the paint on the back of the basket would not be so gouged up like that?

I think you are just seeing the glue. The magnet appears to have been held onto the basket by a combination of four "rivets" and some glue.

-Max

·
Registered
548 Posts
Replacing drivers as pairs is a tip that is more applicable to very old speakers which are being restored or when an exact replacement can't be found. For something modern like this there is absolutely no reason to replace both woofers.

I'd just do the frys deal if you can - you'll get a spare tweeter out of it along with some misc hardware.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.