AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original plan was for bookshelf speakers but now the wife has asked to go demo the bookshelf speakers we had been thinking of against some floor standing speaker towers.

Budget is

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
The original plan was for bookshelf speakers but now the wife has asked to go demo the bookshelf speakers we had been thinking of against some floor standing speaker towers.

Budget is

Reactions: postrokfan

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm a Polk fan so I'm biased... but, it'd be financially irresponsible to not put the 705's on the top of the list at the current price 😁. Best would be to audition them but if you had to go in blind, I wouldn't have second thoughts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Recommend you read the manufactures placement recommendations before you make your purchase.

Speaker placement is always as critical as the speakers themselves

make sure the ones you get are designed for where you are willing to put them

Have fun and enjoy

Reactions: m0j0 and postrokfan

·
Registered
17,031 Posts

Budget is

Reactions: PlanetAVS

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been completely blown away with my 707's. $1200.00 is almost exactly what I paid for them. Imaging is precise and transparent. Bass will not leave you wanting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The main sale on the Polk LSI M seriese seems to be over, at least for now.

I added the Wharfedales and the Q Acoustics to the list. I like the styling of the Concept 40s but it seems like the 3050i is more common. Do the 3050is sound better, what is the advantage of one over the other Q Accoustic tower?

Lots of Wharfedales options. Would the new Evo4.3s be a better choice then the discounted Reva 3 or 4? It seems like both of those lines are a step up from the Dimonds right? I have a hard time knowing what was changed and if that was actually an improvement.

Any ID companies I should consider?

I was also planning to run a sub or two with a crossover depending on the speakers. I had thought that I would select speakers with a better high and mid range but lacked in bass as I was thinking the Sub would take on those roles. Does this make sense or is it misguided. If it makes sense, does that push forward any of the speakers as better options for me? Thanks.

·
Registered
17,031 Posts

I added the Wharfedales and the Q Acoustics to the list. I like the styling of the Concept 40s but it seems like the 3050i is more common. Do the 3050is sound better, what is the advantage of one over the other Q Accoustic tower?

Lots of Wharfedales options. Would the new Evo4.3s be a better choice then the discounted Reva 3 or 4? It seems like both of those lines are a step up from the Dimonds right? I have a hard time knowing what was changed and if that was actually an improvement.

I was also planning to run a sub or two with a crossover depending on the speakers. I had thought that I would select speakers with a better high and mid range but lacked in bass as I was thinking the Sub would take on those roles. Does this make sense or is it misguided. If it makes sense, does that push forward any of the speakers as better options for me? Thanks.
The Concept series is a bit more neutral than the 3000 series, so it's better for critical music listening. For HT, I'd go with the 3050i and put the savings into a good mismatched center speaker (QA centers are middling at best in my opinion).

The Revo and Evo speakers will be more neutral than the Diamonds, which many people consider a good thing. However, the Diamond 200 series is a good bit more neutral than their previous model line the 10x series. My personal beef with the 200 series is the shiny silver rings around the woofers which you can't remove, but some people are fine with that---and you do save a good bit of cash going with the Diamonds.

Yes a strong sub is a must if you watch blockbuster action/thriller movies...for music not so much unless you listen to a lot of bass-heavy genres. With a strong sub you can get dual woofer bookshelves that will give you the headroom and room-filling abilities of towers without the bulk or cost, although cosmetically some people still prefer the full tower look.

·
Registered
21,470 Posts

Are you near any of these folks?

ACCESSORIES 4 LESS*** NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA
APERION* NEAR PORTLAND OREGON
ASCEND** NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
CHANE TAMPA FLORIDA
CRUTCHFIELD*** CHARLOTTESVILLE VIRGINIA
DEEP SEA SOUND SUBS NEAR KNOXVILLE TENNESSEE
DIYSOUND GROUP CINCINNATI OHIO
EMOTIVA NEAR NASHVILLE TENNESSEE
HI FI HEAVEN*** GREEN BAY WISONSIN
HSU NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
HTD* NEAR DALLAS TEXAS
JTR NEAR MILWAUKEE WISCONSIN
MONOPRICE NEAR RIVERSIDE CALIFORNIA
MUSIC DIRECT*** CHICAGO ILLINOIS
NHT NEAR SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA
OHM BROOKLYN NEW YORK
PSA NEAR YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
RBH NEAR SALT LAKE CITY UTAH
RHYTHMIK SUBS NEAR AUSTIN TEXAS
RSL* NEAR LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA
SALK AUDIO PONTIAC MICHIGAN
SATURDAY AUDIO--- CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SEATON SOUND NEAR CHICAGO ILLINOIS
SELAH AUDIO NEAR RALEIGH NORTH CAROLINA
SVS* YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
TEKTON NEAR PROVO UTAH
TYLER ACOUSTICS NEAR LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY
WORLDWIDE STEREO*** NEAR PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA

CANADIAN MANUFACTURERS
AXIOM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FLUANCE NEAR TORONTO CANADA
FUNK AUDIO NEAR VANCOUVER CANADA
PARADIGM NEAR TORONTO CANADA
PSB NEAR TORONTO CANADA
TOTEM NEAR MONTREAL CANADA
* free return shipping
**Ascend also carries Rhythmik subwoofers on site
***retail outlet of many brands

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big list of places but I am not near any of them. I am adding the RSL CG5 to my list and I think their Speedwoofer looks cool too, however, I may just be susceptible to advertising. While they are not floor standing speakers, I thought a couple of their center channels and a couple subs would still give me good sound.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes a strong sub is a must if you watch blockbuster action/thriller movies...for music not so much unless you listen to a lot of bass-heavy genres. With a strong sub you can get dual woofer bookshelves that will give you the headroom and room-filling abilities of towers without the bulk or cost, although cosmetically some people still prefer the full tower look.

+1

I'd probably go this route. Get some beefy bookies and a couple subs. Wife would probably be happier with the bookshelves and more money can be put to the subs.

·
Registered
17,031 Posts
Big list of places but I am not near any of them. I am adding the RSL CG5 to my list and I think their Speedwoofer looks cool too, however, I may just be susceptible to advertising. While they are not floor standing speakers, I thought a couple of their center channels and a couple subs would still give me good sound.
The CG5 is certainly nice. Just a bit expensive for what you're doing. Instead, I'd look at the Chane A2.4 which gives you dual woofers for half the price.

Or if you need to have free return shipping, the HTD Level 3 bookshelf.

And for a big space like yours, I'd skip the RSL sub, it's too small/weak especially for HT. With the money you save going with HTD or Chane you can get a Hsu VTF-3 which will make a much bigger difference.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,746 Posts
If you can bump your budget just a little, take a look at Revel F36. Has specs along your line of thinking... less extension than the Polk LSiM in exchange for better capability above crossover with 91 dB sensitivity. It’s a 2.5 way design so all three 6.5” woofer will play down to crossover for lower distortion and higher output from 80 Hz up. This contributes to the 91 dB sensitivity rating which means it will play louder with *much* less power required.

Also, based on published objective measurement data, there probably isn’t an under $2K pair of speakers that will be clearly superior for sound quality.

For sub I agree the HSU VTF3.5 is probably the best value in a *very* capable sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
I know most will want to up your budget but I'd like to make a suggestion. Give the Polk Signature S60's a listen. The Polk engineers really hit it out of the park with this speaker line (and also with the new Legends). It has the signature (pun intended) Polk warmth, it digs deep, has solid mids and airy highs. And IMO, it looks good and has a pretty high WAF. Yes, it's not an LSiM, but it might surprise you and is worth a listen. The money saved can go into the HSU fund.

Another member just posted he got a PAIR today with a center channel for $700 CAD (and the center retails for $400 CAD!).

·
Registered
21,470 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are considering the R-820F and R-625FA I would suggest looking at the RP-6000f instead. Earlier this year I upgraded to RP-8000's and while I was concerned the horn would be too bright it's absolutely the best choice I could have made for both HT and cranking out tunes. With patience you can find them at a great price.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts