AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, would appreciate any recommendations.
Would like to upgrade what I have.
What I have is my 1st diy attempt, without experience I chose quite complex box with hard to finish surface. It's hard to properly finish for several reasons, one of them is that speakers are in the box before finishing (I know, bad practice, didn't know then), second one is much less finished, have them for some time and don't want to waste much more time(as it would take to properly finish them), cause they were quite cheap (bass driver around 25usd) and I have some reservations to performance.
Table Rectangle Wood Floor Automotive design
Public address system Audio equipment Loudspeaker Studio monitor Wood
Public address system Wood Studio monitor Audio equipment Sound box

Some project info and simulations can be found here, so you can have slight sence what they are (try google translate from czech) https://www.reproobchod.cz/dokumentace-pro-totem-twr-p1, speakers used Dexon BRT 25/30/01,8, Dexon BRX 25/03, Visaton WS 20 E 8 OHM

My prefferences (some of them forced by fianceFactor:p), maybe naive or not well described:
In general for new ones to be in every way better (everything that is valued in a speaker)
  • room is around 25-30 m sq, 260-320 sq ft
  • front of the speaker must be ~60cm, 24in from wall (so if speaker is 40 cm deep, 20 cm is left to wall), so speakers that need a lot of space between their back and wall are no go
  • cannot be larger then old ones max h*w*d 115*30*45cm, and need to be of a regular tower speaker shape (no 60*50*50)
  • listening position is around 1,5 - 2m from speakers
  • need to play well on both low and high volumes, will be used mainly on normal listening levels (tv news watching for example)
  • would like them to be as "no need for sub" as possible for music (there will be added sub for lowes fq probably), so should play low and tight, I really prefer good bass
  • listening to regular music of all "radio" genres (I won't be playing any supermastered vinyls of orchestra)
  • design wise propably 2,5 way, so 3-4 speakers , 2 different types/sizes and in one axis ( similar to what I have, or from regular brands around kef q950, klipsh rp8000, focal chora 826), so if diy, should have similar "visual speaker aligment"
  • budget 2500 usd/pair for not diy or 2000 usd pair for diy components (excluding cabinet)

thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hello all, would appreciate any recommendations.
Would like to upgrade what I have.
What I have is my 1st diy attempt, without experience I chose quite complex box with hard to finish surface. It's hard to properly finish for several reasons, one of them is that speakers are in the box before finishing (I know, bad practice, didn't know then), second one is much less finished, have them for some time and don't want to waste much more time(as it would take to properly finish them), cause they were quite cheap (bass driver around 25usd) and I have some reservations to performance.
View attachment 3184943 View attachment 3184942 View attachment 3184944
Some project info and simulations can be found here, so you can have slight sence what they are (try google translate from czech) https://www.reproobchod.cz/dokumentace-pro-totem-twr-p1, speakers used Dexon BRT 25/30/01,8, Dexon BRX 25/03, Visaton WS 20 E 8 OHM

My prefferences (some of them forced by fianceFactor:p), maybe naive or not well described:
In general for new ones to be in every way better (everything that is valued in a speaker)
  • room is around 25-30 m sq, 260-320 sq ft
  • front of the speaker must be ~60cm, 24in from wall (so if speaker is 40 cm deep, 20 cm is left to wall), so speakers that need a lot of space between their back and wall are no go
  • cannot be larger then old ones max h*w*d 115*30*45cm, and need to be of a regular tower speaker shape (no 60*50*50)
  • listening position is around 1,5 - 2m from speakers
  • need to play well on both low and high volumes, will be used mainly on normal listening levels (tv news watching for example)
  • would like them to be as "no need for sub" as possible for music (there will be added sub for lowes fq probably), so should play low and tight, I really prefer good bass
  • listening to regular music of all "radio" genres (I won't be playing any supermastered vinyls of orchestra)
  • design wise propably 2,5 way, so 3-4 speakers , 2 different types/sizes and in one axis ( similar to what I have, or from regular brands around kef q950, klipsh rp8000, focal chora 826), so if diy, should have similar "visual speaker aligment"
  • budget 2500 usd/pair for not diy or 2000 usd pair for diy components (excluding cabinet)

thanks
I realize you aren't in the US, so this might be more difficult, but here I buy used speakers, and I have yet to spend $2500 for a pair. My most recent purchase is a pair of Paradigm Studio Monitor 100 V5 for which I paid $1700. My suggestion would be to not buy those, and maybe target the 60 v5 version as they are smaller in all dimensions than your requirements. I see them around the US for about half of your dollar amount, so that could work. The 100 v5 is a bit tall compared to your requirements. https://www.paradigm.com/en/floorstanding/studio-60

I have been very happy with the V5 version of the speakers in their ability to perform well at any volume setting. The older Paradigm speakers didn't wake up until they were in the upper reaches of what they could handle, but the v5's seem to be quite alive througout the range. Paradigm also makes a couple of matching center channels if you are looking for that. I am certain there are better kits for the money than the Paradigms. I am also certain that you can find better speakers for the money, I am just speaking to what I know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@guitarjim Some local hifi studios are selling triangle, dali, dynaudio, b&w, klipsch and some others, not sure which are available to listen. Maybe I should hear a few to get a point of reference. Do you have particular triangles in mind? Which matches requirements?

@BlkSC Thanks for Nexus recommendation, I will have a closer look. Do they really go "flatish" below 30, or thats with large help of the room? Are they suitable for close to wall, and 1,5-2m listening distance?

@jmilleril Thanks, studios seem to be discontinued, do you know which of current ones are to be considered new gen of those studio 60?

I am still a bit not sure whether go diy (most of the internet claims you can get 5-20x value of commercial ones, regarding used components atleast )

·
Registered
182 Posts
I built mine with a front facing slot port and was shooting for a 30hz tune. In the second link I posted, post #4, I included my REW results with and without Audyssey. Even the sealed center channel was pretty flat to 28ish hz. What I don't know...based on the sealed center dropping off exactly where the towers did, there may have already been a crossover set in the receiver at 30hz from my previous setup...which means the center may be capable of playing even lower flat. It's something I've thought about since then and I haven't found the time to play with them more. They sound great to me so why "waste" the time, lol. Also, that was in my living room/kitchen/dining room that is approximately 23' x 17' with vaulted ceilings and is completely open to the rest of the house. The listening position was 10-12ft from the speakers.

·
Registered
425 Posts
@jmilleril Thanks, studios seem to be discontinued, do you know which of current ones are to be considered new gen of those studio 60?
Studios are discontinued but you can pick them up used for cheap. As far as new, I haven't looked at their recent additions so I am not very useful on that topic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts