AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a lack of ANY place to put a separate subwoofer (really, there's no place), I'm looking for a new speaker system with towers speakers that have built-in (hopefully powerful) subs - or at least a system where the tower can be mounted on top of the subwoofer.


There appears to be a few such speakers out there:


Definitive Technologies (various models)

Mirage OM-5

NHT Evolution T6

Paradigm Monitor 90P

Polk LSi25

Cambridge Soundworks Newton T500


Are there others available? I prefer to avoid bi or di-polar designs (such as DT or Mirage).


Thanks for any assistance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Give the Fluance SV-10 and SM-938 a look as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
41 Posts
The Mirage, NHT and Paradigm are the best on your list. I know the former head designer of Paradigm very well and there are 4 speakers he designed he'd put above all the others and the 90P is on that list. The owners of Paradigm and all the engineers have the 90P in their own homes. They were meant to be and should have been in the reference line but marketing decided to put them in the monitor series. The other 3 he designed and which were "no compromise" are all vastly more expensive. That being said I prefer the NHT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks
Due to a lack of ANY place to put a separate subwoofer (really, there's no place), I'm looking for a new speaker system with towers speakers that have built-in (hopefully powerful) subs - or at least a system where the tower can be mounted on top of the subwoofer.


There appears to be a few such speakers out there:


Definitive Technologies (various models)

Mirage OM-5

NHT Evolution T6

Paradigm Monitor 90P

Polk LSi25

Cambridge Soundworks Newton T500


Are there others available? I prefer to avoid bi or di-polar designs (such as DT or Mirage).


Thanks for any assistance!
Saw two PSB speakers with built-in powered subwoofers yesterday in Edmond, OK. Looked and sounded very nice. Dealer said they were last years model and he would sell for under $800. Don't know if PSB still makes them, but it would be a good buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
I've heard the older NHT 3.3's a few times, and they've blown me away. Deep, precise bass, and great imaging on the mids and highs. They need to be set up along a wall, though. I'd imagine the newer NHTs are great as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions. I've now got quite a bit of reading to do so I can narrow the audition list down a bit...


FWIW, they'll be hooked up to a Marantz SR9600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Sr.
The Mirage, NHT and Paradigm are the best on your list. I know the former head designer of Paradigm very well and there are 4 speakers he designed he'd put above all the others and the 90P is on that list. The owners of Paradigm and all the engineers have the 90P in their own homes. They were meant to be and should have been in the reference line but marketing decided to put them in the monitor series. The other 3 he designed and which were "no compromise" are all vastly more expensive. That being said I prefer the NHT.
Care to share what the other 3 speakers on that list are? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD
JBL Performance Series PT800/PS1400.

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/series.asp?SerId=PER
I have the JBL Performance Series in a 7.1 configuration, including two "stacks" of PT800s and PS1400s for mains. You'll have a pure Titanium EOS WaveGuide tweeter, a 4" Ti inverted dome midrange, an 8" Ti inverted dome woofer, and a 14" LE14H-3 subwoofer in each stack. The sub has a 400W built in amp.


They're hard to find, but worth the hunt. They look something like this poor photo (with the grilles off):
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The JBL sounds great - I love the idea of dual 14" subs - but I priced up a 7.1 system and it's something like $15,500 MSRP. Now I don't have a particularly set budget, but that's probably above it... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
The Mordaunt Short MS502's have built-in 10" subwoofers and are currently being liquidated by www.accessories4less.com for about 50% of their $2400 retail price . The 500 series are all THX certified (I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything), and I love the sound of them. They come in Maple or Black.


The matching MS504 (center channel) and MS506s (dipole surrounds) are also cheap on that site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks
The JBL sounds great - I love the idea of dual 14" subs - but I priced up a 7.1 system and it's something like $15,500 MSRP. Now I don't have a particularly set budget, but that's probably above it... :)


If you go here:

www.harmanaudio.com


and select the "By Brand" drop down menu under "All Specials" you can choose "JBL Home." Wait until the page loads, then scroll all the way to the bottom to see the Performance Series speakers, all for much less than you priced them out at retail. Since this is an official Harman International (the parent of JBL) store front, these carry the full factory warranty, and they are indistinguishible from so-called "new" stock.


If you'd like to read the mother of all threads on these JBLs, you can go here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=3272


It's a thread I started (under a different moniker) about my Performance Series experience. The thread ultimately blossomed into something much more.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top