AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I currently have Deftech BP-8020's with the 8" powered subs built in. Before these towers I owned some Infinity Beta 50 towers with the 8" drivers and they were "full size" towers to say the least and bi-ampable. So these are the only two towers I've owned. Here is the question.... Being I don't really "need" the powered subs in the towers b/c I am sold on having a powered full size sub in the corner of the room, and the powered subs in my towers are being used only so the tower can get down to 80hz as a free standing tower, are there better sounding towers in this price range without powered subs that can get down to 60 or 80 hz. In short, can you get a better sounding non-powered tower for the same money? Size is not an issue. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, there are a lot, a whole lot. Look around the first few pages of this forum (Speakers) and you will find many threads about low budget towers to help you get started. I think almost every tower discussed will get down to at least 50Hz.

I didn't notice the ea; at 300-600 each you will have trouble finding a tower that doesn't go down to 60Hz. Just don't look at the skinny stick ones and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so am I wrong to think I paid a lot for a very small speaker because it has a built in amp/sub? When for the same or less money I could just get some better sounding normal towers and run my HSU sub?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I think so. Two subs and amps certainly add to Def Tech's costs. Plus, look at the small midranges that the BP-8020 has compared to the drivers in the Kef iQ90. For that matter, notice that the low end frequency response isn't any better on the BP-8020s than on the iQ90s.

BTW: Those iQ90s are a great deal right now since they are on closeout because of the newer model.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^Exactly. So my thoughts lately are not totaly nuts. Just think my towers are weak. Granted they are the smallest of the lineup. Probably better suited for a chic townhouse than a HT and 5009 driving Metallica. I'd love a pair of the BP-8080's, but for $1,600/ea or whatever good god... I just want some medium size, good sounding strong towers for about $500/ea. Then match the center channel. Kef, Polk, Klipsch, B&W. Who else?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
You are trying to play Metallica with 3.5" drivers? LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, it's got a 8" powered sub. Like I said... Dawned on me lately that maybe I need a tower with some 6.5"'s
Polk seems to make an array of towers that are priced decently. What sucks is there is really no where locally to audition speakers other than best buy magnolia which has Defs, B&W's, Mirage etc... No Klipsch Reference, no KEF etc.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Take your own demo music that you are familiar with. Go to BestBuy and listen and take notes about what you particularly like and why. Then people can make suggestions about what fits that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just not sure how to get better sound than what I currently have. Especially for 2ch music. When I had my massive Infinity Beta 50's they jammed. But they didn't have the detail my BP-8020's have. I prefer my deftechs hands down over those monsters especially for movies. But it's like comparing a V8 4x4 truck and a nice refined BMW 328i. They each have their purpose and strengths. So yes, I could get a cheaper larger tower with no amp/sub and it has more larger drivers... but is it really going to sound "better" than what I currantly have.

Let's compare these below vs my BP-8020's.

-Aperion 5T

-RTIA7 Polks

-Rc70 Energy

-IQ 90 KEF

-PSB T5's

-RF 62 II Klipsch

This is pretty much the list. All in the price range I'm toying with.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently you can get deftech's lower priced than BB. I love the internets. I think I'm probably just going to work my way up the BP series. CS8080 center, 8080 surrounds and 8060 or 8080 towers. Just start peace mealing it over the next year or so. If a 5.1 8080 deftech system with a HSU VTF2-MK4 Sub can't play metallica I give up. LOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts