AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do towers compare to bookshelf speakers? Right now I have r/c/l and a large powered subwoofer. Was thinking of towers for L/R, not sure on center channel and sub isnt going anywhere. How could I set this up? Can I keep my 3 speaker set up now and just add 2 towers?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
How do towers compare to bookshelf speakers? Right now I have r/c/l and a large powered subwoofer. Was thinking of towers for L/R, not sure on center channel and sub isnt going anywhere. How could I set this up? Can I keep my 3 speaker set up now and just add 2 towers?
Basic rule of thumb on Towers -vs- Bookshelves is, if you're sitting more than 12-13' away from them, you probably want the extra output that most towers will give you.
But... That in no way means that you can't get towers, just because you "want" to, but less than that distance you probably just don't "need" them.
As far as upgrading, we just simply need more info to be very helpful.
What speakers you currently have?
What receiver?
What your goals are, for the upgrade?
Room size?
Dedicated room or living/great room?

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you are staying with your sub and don't need a speaker that goes below 40 or 50hz, you will get more bang for the buck by going with a bookshelf speaker. I'd be more concerned about sound quality (flat response) that output. Spending the same amount of money on a bookshelf that you might spend on floor standers will get you better speaker.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
What speakers and sub do you currently have? What is it about your current set up that you are unhappy with?

Reactions: MeanMachine

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I see you have Sony towers - what's your take?
They are solid speakers at the sale price of $98. I don't think I would buy them at $150/each. The towers are small and have a more full sound than the CS5 bookshelf speakers. To me the CS5's seem very treble dominant, but not overly bright. The towers can handle more power and are slightly more sensitive, so they will play a tad bit louder at the same volume level as the CS5's. If you have a competent subwoofer to do the ground work, the CS5's would be a good and cheaper option. For 2 channel music the CS3's have a more complete sound, although they still aren't really strong on the low end.

Reactions: MeanMachine
1 - 6 of 6 Posts