AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, probably a quick answer but I am fairly new to this. I have two towers with 8 inch side firing subs and wanted to know the proper placement. Basically, should the subs fire in or out? Thank you for your help.

· Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLOVE300 /forum/post/16855522

Hi, probably a quick answer but I am fairly new to this. I have two towers with 8 inch side firing subs and wanted to know the proper placement. Basically, should the subs fire in or out? Thank you for your help.

I believe they are designed to fire outwards, but honestly it does not matter much if at all.

The lower frequencies are mostly omni-directional. You should only need to worry about which way the face if you have nearby walls or other objects that will reflect the sound and increase how boomy the bass is.

· Registered
811 Posts
My first pair of HT speakers had side firing woofers and the manufacturer recommended trying facing them out to start. However, it's worth trying both orientations, especially if you cannot give at least 6" to 12" space to the woofer on one particular side.

· Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLOVE300 /forum/post/16855573

Would it be best to fire them at a wall?

Generally you don't want to have them fire directly at a wall. This can often cause a subwoofer to sound too boomy and muddied. However, some people prefer that type of bass reproduction.

I would use the simple mantra of keeping your speakers at lest 2-3 feet from the wall on all sides. I would also have the subs firing out so you don't have to worry about it reflecting incorrectly off of your HT furniture.

· Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline /forum/post/16855666

I would use the simple mantra of keeping your speakers at lest 2-3 feet from the wall on all sides

+1, when possible and practical

have them firing outward if you can allow at least two feet from walls. if thats not possible, than just have the sub set up to whichever way will allow the most space between the nearest wall/object

· Registered
2,653 Posts
I have AUDES Blues as my R/L mains in my HT. While the side firing woofer is not a subwoofer, the principal is basically the same. According to AUDES (I emailed their technical department and asked the very same question eight years ago), the woofers ideally should be firing inward if the speakers are less than five feet from an outside wall (well, he said a meter and a half) so you could actually call it between four and five feet I guess. If they are further than that, he said it didn't matter.

The concern is the longer bass waves and them bouncing off of the walls. I would think it even more critical with the even longer waves of a sub woofer as opposed to a side firing woofer. If facing outward, depending on exactly how they are placed, the angle and distance etc, could cause either cancellation sucking out the bass or magnifying it to where it becomes over emphasized and boomy.

Try it both ways and see what works best in your room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.