AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toy Soldiers (XBLA) 1200 MS Points, Release Date: 3/3/2010

So, is anybody else intrigued by this upcoming game?

XBox Live
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/t/to...la/default.htm

Joystiq Preview:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/25/tg...soldiers-xbla/

Gameplay in HD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0CAH...eature=related

It looks like it combines a few things: tower defense, military shooter, flight sim, and packages it in a nice, neat diorama setting. Depending on the depth of gameplay and total levels, this could be another great XBLA title for the value. It's been slightly overshadowed by another great XBLA game (Perfect Dark), but there is enough tower defense fans out there, along with shooter and strategy fans, that could make this one a hit.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Looks interesting. I'm guessing this one will come down to how well it controls.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
is it based on the movie staring Will Wheaton?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer /forum/post/18145943

I'm intrigued and also curious as to what one gets to do with the money earned by killing other toys?

Well if it's like most other tower defense games, I'm sure you can purchase new weapons, defense posts, fences, snipers, planes, etc. to set up in the level. There is a lot of variety shown in the game play video, which should be fresher than: "put defense tower down, watch it play by itself".

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'll be more sold on this when the multiplayer is announced.

It looks pretty fun though.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
anybody else pick this up?

I had a tough time putting it down last night! that makes it worth the money to me!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 /forum/post/18248295

I had a tough time putting it down last night! that makes it worth the money to me!!

So I didn't have much time to play the demo last night, only played through once and haven't bought it yet. The first thing I noticed is that the controls were a little unfamiliar, which isn't surprising since I've never played a 3rd person WWI tower defense game set in a person's room before. Also, the gameplay was pretty hectic, mostly because I didn't know what was going on.

Do the controls get easier?

How many levels and weapons are there?

Have you played any multiplayer yet?

·
Registered
754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 /forum/post/18248295

I saw you online playing it last night. Was curious to see what your thoughts on it were.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose /forum/post/18248499

I saw you online playing it last night. Was curious to see what your thoughts on it were.

yeah, I was only gonna play for a bit, next thing I knew it was almost midnight

I've never really played a game like this, so I can't compare it to another like I'm sure others can.

I think the atmosphere (the diorama style, along with the WW1 style music, along with the grainyish, black and white style) was cool.

Lots of different things to do (tanks, planes, guns, sniper etc).

Hordes of enemies charging, well placed shells for big bonuses.

again this game may be same-old same-old, but for me it's something I've never played before.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oo7evan /forum/post/18248484

So I didn't have much time to play the demo last night, only played through once and haven't bought it yet. The first thing I noticed is that the controls were a little unfamiliar, which isn't surprising since I've never played a 3rd person WWI tower defense game set in a person's room before. Also, the gameplay was pretty hectic, mostly because I didn't know what was going on.

Do the controls get easier?

How many levels and weapons are there?

Have you played any multiplayer yet?

I tried the demo, but the demo really doesn't give you any sort of real taste for it. it may be the smallest demo I've ever played. I had no idea what the controls were, what I was doing, or any real sense of strategy. from the demo, I felt like "the only way I'm going to know for sure, is to just buy the dang thing". so I bit the bullet.

the game itself seemed much less hectic. I picked up the controls MUCH faster than I did on the demo, and the flow of the game (map) was much more noticable. in the demo, it ends just as you start getting in a groove, but with no real sense of whether or not you're actually doing anything right. the game on the other hand, makes much more sense of what you're doing.

after each level, your weapons upgrade (I haven't figured out yet if you actually earn the upgrade, or if it's just a progressive/difficulty type leveling up). so, if you place a machine gunner in a spot, the hit R on Dpad, the machine gunner will upgrade to a stronger gunner. as the game gets more challenging (enemies), spending money earned on upgrading your weapons is a must. as for how many levels, I'm not quite sure how many total since I haven't finished it yet (played for about 4 hours and still not done so...). I must have played atleast 10 levels, and I was just getting to the point where it was really getting difficult (2 toy boxes to defend instead of 1)

haven't tried MP yet

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My son was excited when he saw this, since it features WWI men and weapons. The game itself uses some famous locations for WWI, too.

The game is suitably pretty and slightly different than your classic tower defense games. It doesn't feel as rigid, for example. The interface is simple, but effective. You have preset spots to put things like Vickers guns, onion tossers, sniper towers and even an airfield with a pilotable Fokker tri-plane. The visual conceit (being a WWI toy solider game) is fun and imaginative.

Only done a couple of missions, but I like it.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnikdaddio /forum/post/18260470

yeah, i'm gonna get this. looks great!

I spent some time with the demo yesterday in between 'down' times of BFBC2.

I also enjoy the 'artistic' style/music/animations. I don't purchase many arcade games, but this one seems fun. Have played a few 'tower defense' type games before as a diversion, but this one seems to have more staying power. Nice title to have for a 'quick fix' of gaming.

On an aside, it immediately reminded me of a Dreamcast game I had (probably still do, should just look for it...). I seem to remember having a little 'war game' in a bedroom and other locations?? It was not an easy game if I recall correctly.

Anyone recall the game?

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyvven /forum/post/18270832

On an aside, it immediately reminded me of a Dreamcast game I had (probably still do, should just look for it...). I seem to remember having a little 'war game' in a bedroom and other locations?? It was not an easy game if I recall correctly.

Anyone recall the game?

That would be Toy Commander. The entire game takes place in a little boy's head as his toys wage war throughout his house. Each room had it's own boss. It was a fun game, but hard as hell, but mostly because the controls were poor (they were very loose IIRC, making controlling things frustrating)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Commander

I wonder if I have that down in my Dreamcast box in the basement or if I sold it. Stupid memory.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru /forum/post/18272556

Yes, it's a variation on the tower defense genre.

I think what you want it is Panzer General: Allied Assualt if you haven't gotten that, yet.

Thanks.

I actually do have that, it's not bad. What I really want is an updated Panzer/Allied General. Shattered Union on Xbox was pretty good, but too easy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.