1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 1080p
720p
480p

Cute trailer. At least it's 2 movies for the price of 1. I don't see how the 3D could add much to movies that weren't made for it. Is Disney/PIXAR that lacking of good new releases that they'll just rest on their laurels now?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/16909813

1080p
720p
480p

Cute trailer. At least it's 2 movies for the price of 1. I don't see how the 3D could add much to movies that weren't made for it. Is Disney/PIXAR that lacking of good new releases that they'll just rest on their laurels now?

I assume they'll use similar technology to how they made THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS in 3D. But I suspect TOY STORY/TOY STORY 2 in 3D will look better because they're beginning with an all-digital animated CGI movie and just have to apply the software and programming to render a left-eye-viewed-and-offset image of everything. In fact, for that reason it could potentially look as good as if it were originally created in 3D like MONSTERS VS. ALIENS.

·
Registered
30,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/16909813

Is Disney/PIXAR that lacking of good new releases that they'll just rest on their laurels now?

Pixar lacking for good new releases? Have you seen 'UP'...?
Quote:
I don't see how the 3D could add much to movies that weren't made for it.

Disney decided to go 3-D on 'Chicken Little' after the film was made. Looked every bit as 3-D as films designed for it.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I'm going to watch the double feature. I think these films will be great in 3D, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/17245056

Pixar lacking for good new releases? Have you seen 'UP'...? Disney decided to go 3-D on 'Chicken Little' after the film was made. Looked every bit as 3-D as films designed for it.
Chicken Little tanked (not being a Pixar-joint), but I liked it very much. And I'll definitely see this "double-bill" re-release.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I saw both last weekend and the 3D was too subtle. Like I posted elsewhere, I had to take my glasses off then put them back on just to remember it was in 3D. Not too impressive to me.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I saw both last weekend and the 3D was too subtle.

Good to know I can avoid this. Maybe this is why they released the two as a double feature.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug /forum/post/17338950

I saw both last weekend and the 3D was too subtle. Like I posted elsewhere, I had to take my glasses off then put them back on just to remember it was in 3D. Not too impressive to me.

No, it's not impressive in the way CORALINA was, but I think the 3D enhanced the viewing experience. There were some good moments - e.g., Buzz Lightyear going over the shaft to get Zorg (?), the opening sequence of TS2 (the Buzz Lightyear alien videogame battle), Buzz and Woody chasing after the moving truck. And the 3D effect made the movie more like one you could step into (I wish we'd been able to sit close enough so the screen would have filled our entire field of vision). And since the film was 100% digital to begin with, the 3D-rerendering of the movie was perfect, even if it wasn't spectacular. My granddaughter had never seen TS2, even though we have the original deluxe DVD set, so she had fun. I was in the restroom when Buzz learned that he really couldn't fly, but I would think that would have been pretty good in 3D.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Saw this a week ago and I'll have to disagree with the 3d was too subtle reviews. Even though there are basically no extreme foreground moments there is still lots of depth to be seen. Toy Story 2 in particular looks amazing in 3-D as is the trailer for part 3.

·
Registered
30,722 Posts
Saw this a couple of days ago. I'd forgotten just how good the storytelling was in these films, especially TS2 (one of the rare sequels that I feel exceeds the original).

The 3-D effect wasn't "too subtle". These movies simply don't have many 'in-your-face' type shots. For the few times something came right at you, like when the cleaner's cotton swab went into Woody's eye, the effect got some audience members lean back (and giggle at themselves for having done so).

As with many modern 3-D films, there weren't many gimmicky shots. That doesn't mean the effect was subtle when called upon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got back from this myself... We don't see much TV, so we just thought it was a new toy story.... ooops.

A few times, I thought they weren't doing much with the 3d, and I started really paying attention, and moving my glasses to see... They did use it a lot, but like said, it just wasn't in your face.

....so can 3d like this be played on a HT?

·
Registered
28,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroNoel /forum/post/17369837

....so can 3d like this be played on a HT?

Not yet. 3-D on home video is still limited to the crummy anaglyph red/blue glasses. But several Blu-ray companies are working on better solutions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts