AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so im looking for some guidance with my situation on how to trace a wire that is apparently some where in my house. This house came prewired and no plans are available so im at the mercy of any one with some ideas or thoughts. When I took the wall plate off I have the following

5 -2 conductor
2 - 4 conductor

Great! the 5 - 2 conductor are for the 5 point surround. However I cannot figure out what the 4 conductors are for. There are no exposed blank boxes upstairs, downstairs, patio, garage, bedrooms, hallways, kitchen, walls or any of the floors. There is also no home run to upstairs, that I have found.

When I wired my old house I knew where everything went. I thought about hooking my toner up to it however any one who has used a toner trying to tone something with a wand though drywall when you dont know where it is in the first place is an exercise in futility. Does any one have any ideas or thoughts on additional places to look for the 4 conductor or thoughts on toning the line out?

I may be able to have a little more of an inside look in a week or so, as I will be removing the boxes and will be putting in inceiling speakers so ill be cutting a hole that may give me a little in sight.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You're right, my eye didn't see that sentence in your post.

I got too carried away with your looking for boxes and looking at drywall.

If you start tracing right from the box itself, the toner won't pick up anything? Maybe not.

What frequency does it use for the trace tone? What if you apply an audio power amplifier producing that frequency to the wire, at assumedly a higher voltage than the tester's transmitter?

---

Now I see this:

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/tempo/cable_locators.asp?ProdID=pe508s

Transmitter Frequency: 447.5KHz

I give up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Ok so im looking for some guidance with my situation on how to trace a wire that is apparently some where in my house. This house came prewired and no plans are available so im at the mercy of any one with some ideas or thoughts. When I took the wall plate off I have the following

5 -2 conductor
2 - 4 conductor

Great! the 5 - 2 conductor are for the 5 point surround. However I cannot figure out what the 4 conductors are for. There are no exposed blank boxes upstairs, downstairs, patio, garage, bedrooms, hallways, kitchen, walls or any of the floors. There is also no home run to upstairs, that I have found.

When I wired my old house I knew where everything went. I thought about hooking my toner up to it however any one who has used a toner trying to tone something with a wand though drywall when you dont know where it is in the first place is an exercise in futility. Does any one have any ideas or thoughts on additional places to look for the 4 conductor or thoughts on toning the line out?

I may be able to have a little more of an inside look in a week or so, as I will be removing the boxes and will be putting in inceiling speakers so ill be cutting a hole that may give me a little in sight.
New house or old? If new, get a hold of the builder. If old ask the previous owner if they know anything about this.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

5 -2 conductor
2 - 4 conductor

The 4 conductor cables- Red, Black, White and Green? That's usually speaker cable.

If you really want to juice the signal from the toner, clip one wire to the cable and the other to a junction box or a metal ladder.

·
Registered
482 Posts

5 -2 conductor
2 - 4 conductor

Is it possible they are running to some in-wall speakers you are unaware of? Try hooking up an ohmmeter and see if you get something around 8 ohms with one of the pairs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Old construction. No access to plans or previous owners. If I grounded out my toner I would still have to wand the entire house! Shoot me now! It is four conductor speaker wire. No hidden speakers that I've seen unless they are using those flat ones that connect to the back of drywall which I doubt. It's not for a sub. That wall is a shared wall that goes up stairs. I'm going to peek in the attic in that general direction to see if I see it.

If I don't see anything my only option will be when I cut the hole for the in ceilings is to see if I can scope it

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
An out of box "solution" is to forget about the wires and have someone run new ones to wherever you want it to go. It won't cost that much just to run those few wires over again. And they would go where you want them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An out of box "solution" is to forget about the wires and have someone run new ones to wherever you want it to go. It won't cost that much just to run those few wires over again. And they would go where you want them.

Yes clearly that is an option. The 5.1 is wired i dont need to monkey with that. i plan on using sonos for my wha distribution. that doesnt change my curiousity of where the wires go!

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Yes clearly that is an option. The 5.1 is wired i dont need to monkey with that. i plan on using sonos for my wha distribution. that doesnt change my curiousity of where the wires go!
I hear you. I put in thousands of feet of wiring in our vacation house and prescribed it all only to find wires dangle that I could not tell where they went! Eventually found them all but they were mistaken routes because I was not there supervising it all. For example I told them I want a run to detect when our generator comes on (we have many power failures here during winter storms). So they ran a wire from the transfer switch for the generator to.... an outlet just 2 feet away from it!!! Never mind that the transfer switch doesn't have a low voltage indicator that it has switched on, or what good it does me to have such a sense wire just come out two feet away instead of my equipment home run that is 100 feet away.

I have also run speaker wires that terminate in the ceiling but I have chosen to not connect any speakers to them. So this may be what is going on. In other words, what you see is the "home run" location and the wires are for some ceiling speaker some place in the house.

If you do want to trace them, there are RF toners that travel fair bit of distance to detect what is behind the wall. Here is an example: http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/general/cable-pipe/cl10.htm. It is about $250. How easy it is to run around the home and find the wires I don't know but it is easier to do than using a toner due to large coverage area (2 meters?).

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
If you do want to trace them, there are RF toners that travel fair bit of distance to detect what is behind the wall. Here is an example: http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/general/cable-pipe/cl10.htm. It is about $250. How easy it is to run around the home and find the wires I don't know but it is easier to do than using a toner due to large coverage area (2 meters?).
Here's the solution for the rest of us without unlimited funds. I use this professionally, got it specifically because of its range through walls. Read the directions, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networks-26000900-Pro3000-Generator/dp/B000FTADX0

Home Depot carries it too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the solution for the rest of us without unlimited funds. I use this professionally, got it specifically because of its range through walls. Read the directions, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networks-26000900-Pro3000-Generator/dp/B000FTADX0

Home Depot carries it too.
Those work very well, I use mine all the time when toning out stuff at work. I'm an IT guy by trade so I do my fair share of fishing, tracing and cursing! I need to figure out how to get work to buy the RF tester though. LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts