AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally tried this in the remote forum, but it is honestly more about the lighting and switches. Please help.

The four remote controls and the lack of lighting in my living room are getting to me! I am looking to buy a remote control (obviously). And yes, the WAF means easy to use (though I am not afraid to program myself). I tried my Ipaq 3970 but its IR is worthless.

But we also really need track lighting. There is a single switch inaccessible in the corner for a single overhead light. We need a lot of light for the 20x17 area since our desks are also there. So we are looking to make a large 'H' track with as many lights as possible hooked up (we have home depot gift cards to use). So we would like a switch with a remote control that can switch as much wattage as possible (maybe 1000W or more). I saw several solutions from Lutron, but I am not sure what would work (ie if we want a low voltage specific switch, etc etc). I'm assuming it would make sense to get a remote control for the home theater that also would control the track lights.

Please advise on a REMOTE, TRACK LIGHTING, and a SWITCH to finish our living room!

Here are the components to control

-Hitachi 57SWX

-Sony VCR (changes channels for cable)

-HK 525 receiver

-Pioneer 563 DVD

(for the curious, the rest includes Parasound 2205 & 1500, BFD1124P, Polk LSi15/C/9, Adire Maelstrom, and bass shakers)

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm also interested in some similar lighting solutions.

As far as remote go. I use a Philips Pronto and consider it one of the best investments I ever made. It took a lot of time to program it the way I like it, but the end result was one remote that is now controlling 7 different devices with ease. Plus, the macro features make it easy enough so that my 7 year old daughter can handle switching modes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone ever searches this thread, I thought I'd answer my own question. Most of the lutron switches with remote do work with the Harmony remotes. We got two Lutron 1000watt dimmers. The Harmony 659 works with all our equipment just fine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Im planning on using Lutron Dimmers as well. I have a stupid question...Do I need to buy the Lutron remote for a Phillips Pronto Pro to learn its codes, or is it compatible as is? Also, anyone know of any rope lighting that can be hard wired in and contollled via remote. Im only finding those cheap plug ins at Lowes and HD..Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
You should be able to dowload what you need to control the Lutron Dimmers from somewhere like RemoteCentral.com for your remote.

I just bought the cheap rope lights. Cut the plug off and hard wire them how you want them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.