AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice. Although the 1208s/2 does not have liquid coupled CRTs, it is an 8" PJ. Will I see enough PQ difference to justify the trade-in (given the fact that I am going to break even price wise)?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
A huge difference. More brightness, better focus.

Do it!

Curt

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
A huge difference. More brightness, better focus.

Do it!

Curt
Thanks Curt! Your word is gold to me. ;)

One more quick question. Will the Barco display CRT hours or only runtime hours? The unit has 4000 runtime hours, but how do I explain to teh individual selling the unit to get the # of hours on each tube?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
you can't. THe BArco only has a total 'on' time meter which makes it only a bit better than useless.

Note on the 1208's, the green tube starts typically showing a bit of wear at about 2500 to 3000 hours. Not a big deal, but if you see that, then the projector has over 2500-3000 hours of run time with light projecting.

Curt

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
In a word......YES!!!

Terry

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
How about a 1208 and BG808? Assuming they both have brand new tubes...and were made around the same time (I think the production runs overlapped if I'm not mistaken? The 808 is still being made, while the 1208's are no longer made).

Kal

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
The 1208 is about 25 thousand times better than the Sony, so a straight swap is about the best you could hope for!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, the guy who has the unit does not feel comfortable taking the lenses off. Since I cannot see the CRTs, no deal.

Oh well...the search continues!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Quote "The 1208 is about 25 thousand times better than the Sony, so a straight swap is about the best you could hope for!"

gn2, I will get you a pristine 1208 in exchange for 25,000 Sony 1272's.

:D

Per Johnny Ødegaard

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have another deal brewing. A Barco 1208S (9000897). This is the 1208s...not the 1208s/2 as stated before. It comes with teh ceiling mount, remote, IRIS and manuals. Equal amount of hours as my 1272Q for about $300 more than what I can sell my 1272Q for (to a friend).

I am really desparate to upgrade to an 8" CRT. Although that model is not LC, is it still worth it?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Once again YES. The S firmware is a significant improvement over the 1208.

However, there are some 808S and 1208S that dont have rebuildable CRT's (if they are certain Sony CRT's), so if any are bad it means NEW barco units$$$. Generally the 1208 and 1208/2 are running MEC CRT's and they are very rebuildable.

None of these units are LC CRT's.

Terry

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Hi guys -

I've seen a 1208, but have never seen an 808 in person. The 808's are still being made I think while the 1208's are discontinued. If I'm not mistaken, the 1208 production run started before the 808 as well but the 1208 seems to be preferred by most people over the 808.

How far apart are the BG808 and 1208 in terms of performance for HT use if you're not going higher then quadrupling? Would they not be similar in performance? Both are EM focus, neither are LC'ed, but the 1208 has higher bandwidth (which shouldn't matter much). 808's quieter?

Kal

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Kal,

The main difference between the 808 and 1208 is the electronics. Better components, basic same circuits. More bandwidth with you don't neet at 960P. Convergence menues are the same, both (if graphics) have schleimflug.

They both are about the same as far as fan noise.

Performance is close and the 808 will do a very nive job at 960P for you.

A major improvement was done on the S model of the 808 and 1208 with better convergence options, gamma control, better electronics, etc.

Terry

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well...the deal is done. After trading numerous e-mails with Curt (advice only...sorry to say he was nto the one selling the unit), I have closed the deal on the 1208s. He could not stress enough how much more brighter the 1208s will be over the 1272Q. A big consideration (as Terry mentioned) was the tube manufacturer. I was finally able to determine that this unit does come with MEC tubes. This is a nice bonus, although the owner assures me that the CRTs are flawless.

Now...I just need to figure out a way to tell my GF that this thing is 15 inches longer and 7 inches wider than the Sony! Being Irish, it is fair to say I do not have this problem often ;)

Does the insanity ever end??? I have had the Sony for only about 3 weeks and I already upgraded! I know that there is a 9500LC or 1209S in my near future!

You people are bad for my bank account! ;)

Thanks for all the advice! And...stay tuned for all my Barco 1208S questions that are sure to follow. :) I have already started reading the manual.

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.