AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just got a DirecTv HD receiver, I want as many HD choices as I can get (for limited funds).

I already subscribe to Starz only, but I want to switch to either HBO or Showtime (only 1 though) to get an HD channel.

Which do you recommend (or keep Starz)?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd take HBO. The movies are roughly the same. No matter which you pick, that movie you'd LOVE to see will be on the other.

HBO's original programming sets it apart (with the exception of that ridiculous Curse of the Bambino ;-))

- Jim

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
As far as movies go, I've never really noticed that one has any better selection than the other. HBO's original programming is heads and shoulders above ANY network, IMHO. Showtime has the edge from a technical standpoint... they provide a lot more movies in DD 5.1, and from what I've read here, they tend to provide HD movies in the original aspect ratio much more often than HBO. On DirecTV, you get more channels with Showtime than you do with HBO (since Showtime includes both Showtime and The Movie Channel).

Those are the differences as I see it. But I didn't vote... just depends on what is important to you. I think the big wildcard is whether or not you'll watch the HBO series. If so, no choice but HBO. If you think you'll only watch movies, I'd probably pick Showtime.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Agreed that the movies they show really don't do it for me, it's the original programming. For me that means if I had to choose only one I would take Showtime because of "Dead like Me" and "Jeremiah". But that's just me.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the input.

I called DirecTv and switched to HBO and asked for a free month of Showtime to compare them. They agreed :)

Thanks again,

Ken

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Make sure to catch Carnivale on HBO and Dead Like Me on Showtime.

Overall I'd say HBO's original shows are better, but I think all the new Showtime series are in HD. The only HD series I know of on HBO currently are Carnivale and The Sopranos. I wish Showtime would put Dead Like Me on at a better time.

Oh if only Starz would go HD. I refuse to believe it will happen until I see it. HBO and Showtime don't make much of an effort for movies.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Is it just me, or does Starz! not show as many recent movies as they used to?

I thought their identity was showing less old stuff than the other premium movie channels.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Darn good question. I have both. They are so close for the reasons stated herein. If I had to choose, I would pick HBO as they have the better boxing production (by Far); but at the same time SHO has OAR.

But you made the right decision in getting rid of STARZ (as I did).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.