AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to design a room to do all of the above as best as I can. I do roughly similar amounts of each. I recognize that I can't have the best of each world. I'm wondering though, what are the chief trade-offs others have faced regarding this issue? Is it possible to do a "very good" if not reference job of each?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well I do not pretend to be an expert but I don't think that one in any way excludes the other. Further a HT by design is an improved listening environment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hmmm. I agree with Jim - improving your environment for one does not necessarily negatively impact another. I would put your HT audio as the lowest priority, and personally feel if you can get multi-channel audio optimized, the others will follow.

As far as the room goes, try to lay it out so that you can place ALL of your speakers at least a foot or two from the wall. Get the walls and ceiling to be as absorbent as possible. Have lots of outlets for your powered sub available so that you can easily optimize its location. Strive to place ALL of your speakers equi-distant from the sweet spot. These are ideals that we all have to compromise in some way, but we should shoot for them all the same.

Getting onto speaker selection, getting 5 identical, full-range speakers is ideal for multi-channel audio. Some say for HT you will want di-pole for your sides, but that is a controversial topic. A few speakers are switchable between di-pole/bi-pol, or di-pole/direct, but I would only worry about that if you KNOW that you prefer the di-pole sound for your movies.

I personally would LOVE to have 7 identical tower speakers in a 7.1 configuration. Unfortunately, my FP screen is on a wall that is shorter on the right end due to heating ducts, and I cannot squeeze in a full height floorstander for the center. I will have direct radiators for the sides and rears, however. Getting a good quality tower design will allow nice 2-ch listening. Picking one out that you can afford 6 of might be something else, but if you consider that typical rear/side speakers also require stands or wall mounts, the price difference isn't as bad as it seems at first glance.

Good luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ssabin
Hmmm. I agree with Jim - improving your environment for one does not necessarily negatively impact another. I would put your HT audio as the lowest priority, and personally feel if you can get multi-channel audio optimized, the others will follow.

As far as the room goes, try to lay it out so that you can place ALL of your speakers at least a foot or two from the wall. Get the walls and ceiling to be as absorbent as possible. Have lots of outlets for your powered sub available so that you can easily optimize its location. Strive to place ALL of your speakers equi-distant from the sweet spot. These are ideals that we all have to compromise in some way, but we should shoot for them all the same.

Getting onto speaker selection, getting 5 identical, full-range speakers is ideal for multi-channel audio. Some say for HT you will want di-pole for your sides, but that is a controversial topic. A few speakers are switchable between di-pole/bi-pol, or di-pole/direct, but I would only worry about that if you KNOW that you prefer the di-pole sound for your movies.

I personally would LOVE to have 7 identical tower speakers in a 7.1 configuration. Unfortunately, my FP screen is on a wall that is shorter on the right end due to heating ducts, and I cannot squeeze in a full height floorstander for the center. I will have direct radiators for the sides and rears, however. Getting a good quality tower design will allow nice 2-ch listening. Picking one out that you can afford 6 of might be something else, but if you consider that typical rear/side speakers also require stands or wall mounts, the price difference isn't as bad as it seems at first glance.

Good luck!

Thanks, very helpful.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I live in an apt. so you're many steps better off than I. My main focus is 2ch but my HT is very satisfying. I have 5 full range speakers and no sub. BTW; I pretend to be an expert. Geo

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.