AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking out Trading Places and right from the start I knew it was going to be good. The text is extremely sharp and clear, the movie has excellent resolution, blacks, coloring is well saturated and natural. Plus a movie you don't get bored of.

Good job Paramount.


Oh can't wait for the Jamie Lee revealing scene which comes up when Dan's first down on his luck and in her apartment. Major league Yaboe's - compliments of Janet Leigh.



Carate man bruise on the inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,787 Posts
Paramount did a nice job with this one.


It's really been cleaned up, colors are rich, especially in scenes compared to dreary Philadelphia in winter.


It's worth a look, if you liked the movie it's never looked this good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
i watched this the other day and wasnt to impressed but it was okay i dunno if i rated it to low though for the reference list?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster /forum/post/0


i watched this the other day and wasnt to impressed but it was okay i dunno if i rated it to low though for the reference list?

I don't know if I'd say its "reference" quality.


The sound definitely suffers from the movie being made in the 80's.


But I would say the video is the best restoration of an early 80's movie I've seen.


Paramount laid off the edge enhancement and really just cleaned it up very well and the colors are very natural. You can really pick up things like the patterns in the clothes and ties and backgrounds that were just missing before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound /forum/post/0


But I would say the video is the best restoration of an early 80's movie I've seen.


Paramount laid off the edge enhancement and really just cleaned it up very well and the colors are very natural. You can really pick up things like the patterns in the clothes and ties and backgrounds that were just missing before.

I agree. Paramount did an excellent job with this release. The image is extremely clean and devoid of scratches and the like, yet retains fine detail. Jamie Lee Curtis' assets look incredible in every guy's favorite scene. Overall, Paramount went way beyond my expectations with this release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
I'm watching it now. I think Coming to America looks better but its mighty impressive compared to what it looked like on previous releases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
One of my favorite all-time movies. I'll definately pick this one up this week.


Anything is better than the barebones DVD I have
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,682 Posts
My wife and I watched Trading Places HD DVD tonight (Netflix rental). Outstanding picture quality! Not flawless, but amazing considering it is a 20-year old film. I'm going to pick up a copy for my permanent collection.


My only niggle is that the dialog track seemed a bit low compared to the rest of the audio. When I got the volume about right for dialog the rest of the audio was a bit too loud. Maybe the SD version is like that too?


After the movie, I turned on the Trivia pop ups and played through a few scenes. Fun stuff!! I'll have to watch the whole thing with the Trivia turned on once I buy the title.


Thumbs up!! I give this one 4 out of 5 stars!


Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,225 Posts
Glad to hear the great word of mouth confirming the review I read somewhere (they gave it a strong 4 stars for PQ)....I'm ordering this one today, probably pound for pound Ed's best movie and easily my personal favorite of his stuff...hate that I can't simply drive to a B&M today and nab it though, pfft! =/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
That scene was worth the price of admission alone!



Excellent video transfer. This was when Eddie Murphy was still funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman /forum/post/0


Oh can't wait for the Jamie Lee revealing scene which comes up when Dan's first down on his luck and in her apartment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice having a pause button.



Sad for some the poor actressess, they thought it was just a flash, but pause buttons are being accessed all over the world. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman /forum/post/0


Nice having a pause button.



Sad for some the poor actressess, they thought it was just a flash, but pause buttons are being accessed all over the world. lol

I saw an interview with her a while ago where she said she wouldn't do any more nude scenes because of something like that. My memory is that she said when she got introduced to some teenager later (like the friend of a relative or something) the kid said something like, "Oh, Freeze Frame". During a party they had paused on one of those scenes and left it on for the whole time.


I watched this one last night and still incredible all these years later.
One of those scenes was permanently burned into my brain when I saw it as a teenager, but still nice to see it again.


--Darin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
trading places and coming to america is $16.95 each

with frys.com click on their weekly special.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0


I saw an interview with her a while ago where she said she wouldn't do any more nude scenes because of something like that. My memory is that she said when she got introduced to some teenager later (like the friend of a relative or something) the kid said something like, "Oh, Freeze Frame". During a party they had paused on one of those scenes and left it on for the whole time.

Good thing it only takes one hand to operate the remote eh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0


I saw an interview with her a while ago where she said she wouldn't do any more nude scenes because of something like that. My memory is that she said when she got introduced to some teenager later (like the friend of a relative or something) the kid said something like, "Oh, Freeze Frame". During a party they had paused on one of those scenes and left it on for the whole time.


I watched this one last night and still incredible all these years later.
One of those scenes was permanently burned into my brain when I saw it as a teenager, but still nice to see it again.


--Darin

Darin,

Glad you liked the jargon, I thought that turn of talk would light up some faces. But the movie detail at least was clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound /forum/post/0


Paramount did a nice job with this one.


It's really been cleaned up, colors are rich, especially in scenes compared to dreary Philadelphia in winter.


It's worth a look, if you liked the movie it's never looked this good.

I agree. Great transfer of a classic.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman /forum/post/0


Just checking out Trading Places and right from the start I knew it was going to be good. The text is extremely sharp and clear, the movie has excellent resolution, blacks, coloring is well saturated and natural. Plus a movie you don't get bored of.

Good job Paramount.


Oh can't wait for the Jamie Lee revealing scene which comes up when Dan's first down on his luck and in her apartment. Major league Yaboe's - compliments of Janet Leigh.



Carate man bruise on the inside.

Eye candy is how I would describe this one. I was too busy ooohing and ahhing at the PQ that I didn't even pay much attention to the dialogue. It was really a great transfer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
You know, I saw Trading Places not long ago, and didn't think it aged particularly well. Alot of bad 80's titty shots...


MEC2
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top