AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With DLP/LCD/LCOS projectors, how long does a lamp really last, and how much does it really cost to replace one? Are they standardized, or does each TV model have its own kind?

And does your behavior have any effect on lamp life? Is turning it on and off more often for brief viewings worse or better than a tendency for more "highway miles", or does running it at lower brightness help (if "brightness" is actually controlled by the lamp instead of by the behavior of pixels on the card)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm no expert (don't worry, someone will correct me momentarily), but I've seen figures like 10,000 hours for the Panasonic 50" LCD RP in particular. I think that translates to something on the order of a few years of "normal" watching, and I think most of these technologies are very similar.

Almost any manufacturer you can order a lamp through, and for the Panasonic LCDs and the Samsung DLPs, the price is around $300. Again, I expect most of them are similar.

As far as using other lamps, I think I remember reading about people using other lamps in their sets, but I may have been on drugs and simply hallucinating that. :)

I don't have an answer on the on/off vs. leave-it-on, but I would be curious to know the answer. Since they're rated in hours, one should probably expect them to be more proportional to on time than to on/off toggles. (Although, normal light bulbs are spec'ed that way and usually burn out when you turn them on, so there may be something to that.)

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Delvo
...And does your behavior have any effect on lamp life? Is turning it on and off more often for brief viewings worse or better than a tendency for more "highway miles", or does running it at lower brightness help (if "brightness" is actually controlled by the lamp instead of by the behavior of pixels on the card)?
I believe frequent on/off cycles are hard on the lamp life. A rule of thumb I heard was if you were going to only leave it off for less than 30 minutes do not turn it off. "Brightness" on these sets is not effecting bulb life. There are settings on some front projectors that do.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I would be incredibly skeptical of claims of 10,000 hours.

Also, whatever the life is, some will burn out very early in life.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
I would be incredibly skeptical of claims of 10,000 hours.

Also, whatever the life is, some will burn out very early in life.
Sure. The 10k number I was quoting was what I remember from the manufacturer's specs. Just as with any light bulb, there is a good chance of it going out much, much sooner. (Given that, however, I would say there is a chance it could last longer, or else that number doesn't seem fair, now does it? :))

I believe there is a 1-year warranty on the bulb from at least some manufacturers, so you're probably guaranteed to have to pay for a new bulb in a worst-case scenario no more than once a year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Delvo
THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS?!
I'll agree with that sentiment. However, at least you can replace it!

Contrast that with plasmas or CRT technology. From what I understand (again, I might be wrong), those are basically guaranteed to get dimmer over time, and there's not a darn thing you can do about it. With these new digital RP technologies, you can theoretically replace the bulb and have it working good as new.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't have the answer, but I did see something interesting on the new Hitachi 50V500. I bought this tv and am waiting on it to be delivered. While playing with it in the store, I noticed it has a screensaver mode. So I guess you can leave it on if you need to take a short break.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Okay the lamp is 300 bucks so how much is it going to cost to get someone to do it, or is it easy to get too?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
User replaceable.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Boy, I can remember the days when you could buy a "decent" color TV for 300 bucks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.