AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it make sense for Replay to offer a a trade-up progam for Showstopper users? I am sure the pay a ton of money each year for all of the local dial-up phone lines.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A little warning to you, the 5000's picture quality isn't nearly as good as the Showstoppers. I've had 2 5040's, and I'm back to the Showstopper.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The Showstopper is costing Panasonic money, not ReplayTV. So... why would they want to do that?

Besides there are quite a few folks like Greg that like the 3k line better than the 4 or 5k lines. I'm one of those, but I do like the broadband features of the 5k.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
The Showstopper is costing Panasonic money, not ReplayTV. So... why would they want to do that?
Really? I thought the service was provided by ReplayTV no matter which manufacturer built the hardware. Who is paying for service on the 2Ks and 3Ks?

The actual cost is probably pretty low per unit. But with all the units out there, I would guess it could get pretty expensive. Makes me think--in an ironic way--about the IBM ad where somebody is able to save the company a nickel.....per unit. And the number of units per year is insanely high.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Hmmmm, last time I checked ALL Replay's could use dial-up lines. So why would it cost anybody any more for a Showstopper versus a 5000. If anything, it would cost more for a 5000 to dial-up since it has more guide data and is still being updated, therefore causing even more dial-up time.

Unless Replay were to go with only broadband service (we see how well that worked with the 4000s), this seems like a bad idea.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
ReplayTV is providing the listing information, but as I understood it Panasonic is paying for all of the units that are out there. I didn't remember it as a expense that ReplayTV would have to carry, I thought Panasonic was still paying for that data. I could be wrong, and this could have changed in the last 3 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.