AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! Thanks to this forum for all the great advice on tvs and information in here. I'm so appreciative the knowledge and conversation here.

My main question is if you had a 2018 Roku Ultra that you were very happy with (and has been consistently updated), but then ended up with a new 2020 TCL 55" 5 Series (purchased at Best Buy yesterday) that has Roku built in... is there a compelling reason to tie up an HDMI port with my Roku Ultra do you think? The one advantage i KNOW exists is that I'll have to buy a new remote from Roku for the tv to get the headphone jack that the ultra remote has built in. But I mean a difference in video quality/4k handling... hmmm

Why did I get a new tv you may ask? Well, at the end of 2018 this forum helped me research and choose a tv at a $1000 budget... I got a Vizio P series I really really liked. Yesterday the picture attached occurred due to a 16 year old and 14 year old rough housing near the tv and a nerf sword was accidentally deployed at high speed in the wrong direction.... .sigh.. They were very sorry, but the TV is a goner.

I can't afford a full on $1000 replacement so I went with the 5 series until later this year when i can really truly afford to upgrade. :) Thought you'd enjoy shaking your head at the photo...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TCL lost to a plastic sword. How can you trust them to make good TVs then!?
The tragic thing was it was a soft sided sword! Although it still hurts pretty good if you get whacked with it.

The Vizio is the one that took the damage. TCL is the replacement. There is actually a little hole in the screen at the center of that circle. Sigh. He really nailed it.

On my main question - I'm finding that for quickness reasons, maybe slightly better video processing sticking with the Ultra IF I have an extra HDMI for it can make sense... Plus its already tuned up just the way I like it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have answered my own question! The new TCL 5 series built in Roku player works well with the Dolby Vision built into this tv. The Roku Ultra I have is not new enough to support Dolby Vision, thus using the Roku interface on the tv will result in a marginally better picture. It'd be interesting to try it with a brand new Roku Ultra that does support it.. but I don't have the $ to drop just to test that...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts