AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In assembling my HT, I have made my choices for the video side of things. Audio is still up in the air. Pun intended, since my speakers will have to go on / in the ceiling.

Here is what I am thinking about. I could use some feedback:

3 Thiel powerpoints for L,R, & C.

2 or 4 powerplanes for side and maybe rear surrounds.

Pioneer 49TXi (might want the 47Ai to go with).

I have two main questions:

(1) Will I get better sound going with the 49TXi, or the 47TX with a standalone amp. The 47TX can be had for about $1000 less than the 49TXi. With that $1000, I could get a good used 7 channel amp, a very good 5 channel amp or an outstanding 3 channel amp to drive the front 3, and let the 47TX drive the surrounds. If I went that route, I could even go 45TX and put more into the amps, but I would lose Auto MCACC, and the DACS are not as nice?!? Also, 49 has 9 band EQ, 47 has 7 band, and 45 has 5 band.

(2) The thiels are big coin ($1300 each), and they are not discounted much, if at all. That's $6500 for 5! Are there less expensive alternatives (like triad maybe) that would satisfy, or are the thiels the only game in town (keeping in mind that I only have the ceiling to work with)?

The room is not large (18 x 14 x 7 1/2), but has a large opening to the rest of the house.

- Rob

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You can't go wrong with Triads. They're musical, they're dynamic and they won't fold up in a home theater application.

Charles Wood

Fosgate Audionics

Rockford Corp.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Charles is right. You can do Triads for less than the Thiels and I much prefer the sound of Triad speaker to the Thiel sound. 5 InCeiling Gold/6 Omnis will set you back $2500. You can step up to InCeiling Silver/6 MiniMonitors for $1400 each or InCeiling Silver/6 Monitors for $2400 each. Regards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.