AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...these more-than-$20 babies are now substantially reduced in price at Best Buy and various other venues. I know I'd watch 'em a whole lot, but what's the buzz on the picture quality- they look to me like pretty early issue DVD's. I can't really see EE on my setup, but stair-steppy, blocky compression artifacts are quite annoying.

I know somebody has seen these. Surely the evaluations would be of interest to folks other than myself alone. Great movies both.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Still buying $20 discs, not me most I'll pay is $17, and even less if their spotty and they grosse me out. lol :)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Yeh, if GPB was a good transfer, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Its a hilarious film that I've seen a number of times and really enjoyed every time. Trainspotting is a little too intense for casual viewing, but a very good film. If a really good transfer came out, I'd probably pick it up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I picked up GPB for around ten bucks. Didn't read it really closely and when I got home I found it wasn't anamorphic. I'll keep it cause I liked the movie, but it was disappointing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
1 or 2 brief scences in TRAINSPOTTING on my copy looked a

bit fuzzy for about 2-3 seconds. Otherwise a good transfer

and a HELLUVA movie!!!!

Had the same effect on me as FIGHT CLUB....

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tammes:

Good to hear Trainspotting looks good. I'm not sure the extra Criterion expense would make up for whatever extras would be offered.

Ratters:

Other than not being anamorphic, how was the picture on GPB?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dogfood- I haven't watched it yet, I just picked it up last week and had too many chores this week to watch it. I'll let you know as soon as I check it out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I rented trainspotting a week or so ago. the version that I got was definitely non-anamorphic. pq was so sub-par that I did not even rip it.

might want to wait for the Criterion.

-jeff

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff J:

Good to know.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
pq was so sub-par that I did not even rip it.
So you make copies of all of the DVDs you rent, if you like them?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Grosse Point Blank transfer to dvd was just awful. I ordered from Columbia House DVD club, watched it for about 15 min. and then sold it the next day (along with Amadeus) to a local used DVD store.

·
Registered
704 Posts
dean,

I think that would be illegal. so nope, nothing like that going on here. however, there might be a correlation between the quantity of dvds vs. harddrives that I have purchased over the last couple of months.

-jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.