Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anybody know a transcoder besides the Key Digital KD-CTCA2 that will work with a SA3100HD STB so I can view HDTV with my projector? I emailed Audio Authority and they said their transcoder only works with a 480p source like a progessive dvd player. I'd like to spend under $200 if I can help it and the Key Digital model goes for $300.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've looked.... nope. Basicly what it comes down to is that the converter has to be able to handle tr-level sync information to support 1080i and HDTV.

I've done the research on some of the home brew approaches that are being used for the x-box. Those too appear only to be able to handle 480p and nothing higher. Those run $50-$100. The parts that are required add up quickley and so $300 for a quality ( excellent quality ) component like the KD-CTCA2 does not look so bad.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Copperbox used to sell something called a GSOD which would do the job since it was basically a KD-CTCA2 with a single RGB output. It was also $100 dollars cheaper than the KD-CTCA2. Unfortunately, it was discontinued an a new GSOD-II is available for pre-order but for all I know it may never see light of day.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the Transcoder the Key Digital KD-CTCA2. Which I paid $300 for and I read you wanted to spend under $200. Well for a $100 more it is really worth it because I live in New York and I just got Time Warner cable which offers 4 channels in High-Def programming, and I hooked up the cable box which only supports component (YPrPb) output. It is hooked up to my Electrohome 9500LC which displays full HDTV resolution and I must say looks GREAT!

Just to mention and give credit where it is due, I purchased the 9500LC PJ from Darrel who just answered you on the last post. Who is a new member who sells PJ's on ebay under the name hammerheadtech and stands behind his PJ's 100%. I recommend him highly!!!!

He helped me reach my home theater dream in obtaining the ultimate PJ around for a great price!:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I just heard back from copperbox and the new GSOD-II they have listed for $199 is 10-12 weeks away from hitting the market. I don't know if I can wait that long, Rogers has 8 HDTV stations broadcasting right now and it's driving me crazy that I can't see any of it even though I have the STB at home right now! I might have to break down and shell out the money to save my sanity.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The AA transcoder works fine with 1080i from a JVC D-VHS deck for me. I don't have a SA3100HD STB box, but some places let you buy then return if it doesn't work with your particular setup.

Joe

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't really take the chance on the 09a62 to experiment since it's going to cost me a lot in shipping, brokerage and currency exchange. I wonder why it works on your D-VHS output when Audio Authority themselves stated it only works with a 480p/480i signal.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I would double check wih A Authority to see if they actually said "will work with" or "only works with" as there is obviously a big difference. The printed pages on their site do not include the word "only". Also note - of all the people that have posted on this forum that it will not work - none, zero, nada have actually plugged in the box and tested it first. Food for thought.:)

Joe

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The AA box as well as many transcoders will transcode HDTV, BUT and this is the BIG BUT... without blanking the tri-level sync it will screw with the clamp circuit on some* output devices. So what it come down to is it will work for SOME combinations of devices, but not all.

If you do some research on the xboxhacker.net forums there is a little more information from one person who designed a DIY xbox transcoder.

* I have no idea which ones will accept this non-standard signal and which ones wont.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.