AVS Forum banner

Transducers - Riser - Insulation

814 views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  jcwhammie 
#1 ·
So I will be building a riser with 4 Clark Synthesis 209 Transducers mounted underneath. Should I fill the riser with insulation? If so, do I need to protect the transducers? Do you fill the whole cavity with insulation or just staple to the top of the riser/underneath the osb? My concern is if I fill the entire cavity with insulation and moisture in a basement... any thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
I may be way off base here -- but I think most people put the transducers under their seats, not the riser. Moreover, I think the reason people fill their risers with insulation is to reuse it as a bass trap, it likely has nothing to due with the use (or not) of transducers.... In fact, I can't see any correlation between use of insulation and use of transducers....

Maybe I'm just confused or misunderstanding you, though. Also, I'm not exactly an expert...so, I can't say I've seen everything,

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob  /t/1521448/transducers-riser-insulation#post_24451841

So I will be building a riser with 4 Clark Synthesis 209 Transducers mounted underneath. Should I fill the riser with insulation? If so, do I need to protect the transducers? Do you fill the whole cavity with insulation or just staple to the top of the riser/underneath the osb? My concern is if I fill the entire cavity with insulation and moisture in a basement... any thoughts?

Yeah. You could use insulation if you want. It's not required but it could help absorb any resonance that is out of band or audible.

I'd probably keep some of the area around the transducers clear just in case though.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob  /t/1521448/transducers-riser-insulation#post_24451841

Is your riser a "suspended" riser? IOW, do the joists extend all the way to the floor, or are they shorter than the outside framework? A "suspended" riser is designed to vibrate with the transducer input. For example, if the outside frame of the riser is 2"x 8"s and the joists are 2"x4"'s, the joists don't contact the floor, and the platform of the riser is not damped by the floor. It is free to vibrate with the transducers. You can get even more vibration by using 2" x 3"'s or 2" x 2"'s. However, the more vibration you get, the more audible noise the riser will make and the slower the riser will be to "decay" the vibration. So it's a tradeoff. Either way, if you're using a suspended riser, I would NOT use any insulation in it.

Craig

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob  /t/1521448/transducers-riser-insulation#post_24467390

Thanks guys. I will be utilizing a suspended framework of 2x8s and 2x6s. I appreciate all the input.

RG
Just my opinion, but I think you would be happier with 2x4's instead of 2x6's. 2x6's are too stiff to vibrate much. 2x4's will flex more and provide more vibration. Also, be sure to use isolation pads under the framework. The isolation pads will improve the shaking significantly.

Craig

#8 ·
Craig,

thanks for all the advice. I was contemplating using Auralex Uboats under the frame. I will go with the 2x4s then too.

Thanks

RG

#9 ·
So...since I'm dumb (lol) and this obviously normal; what's the benefit to installing these under the riser rather than the seats? Use of less transducers to cover the entire seating area? Wouldn't you need bigger/stronger transducers (and amplifiers) to handle the excess weight of all the seats (and butts in them, lol)?

Just curious what the pros/cons are between installing under each seat (which is all I've seen) versus installing under the whole riser?

#10 ·
^^ IMO, installing under a riser gives you a more natural feel, than directly under the seating. I originally had my transducers setup that way. The only problem I kept running into having them installed that way was with resonance. For some reason the riser was attenuating it and making it more audible than with them under the seats. I eventually gave up and went with the more conventional method.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1521448/transducers-riser-insulation#post_24468577

^^ IMO, installing under a riser gives you a more natural feel, than directly under the seating. I originally had my transducers setup that way. The only problem I kept running into having them installed that way was with resonance. For some reason the riser was attenuating it and making it more audible than with them under the seats. I eventually gave up and went with the more conventional method.
With all the subs you have, I'm surprised you even need the transducers, lol. Thanks for the response, though.... I suppose the under-the-seats method is probably the safer bet, in your opinion?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior  /t/1521448/transducers-riser-insulation/0_80#post_24474769

With all the subs you have, I'm surprised you even need the transducers, lol. Thanks for the response, though.... I suppose the under-the-seats method is probably the safer bet, in your opinion?

LOL. I would go with the under chair installation myself.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1521448/transducers-riser-insulation#post_24468577

Agreed. If you don't have the resonance issue (I don't with my platform), attaching the shakers to the riser so you get an indirect shake is MUCH more natural and seamless from my experience, at least with buttkickers. Building a platform or riser that will flex with the kinetic rubber isolator type feet mounted to the bottom is the best way to go from my experience. I have never experienced a direct to chair mount that felt quite right.

#14 ·
I'm thinking about using hockey pucks instead of Auralex U-boats... anybody have thoughts on this? Hockey pucks are about $1/each and the U-boats are about $3/each.

I can get a box of 50 pucks for $57!

RG

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbob  /t/1521448/transducers-riser-insulation#post_24527834

Any hockey puck nuts out there?

I have my outlaw lfm-1 pluses on hockey pucks due to the thickness of the carpet and pad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.