AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble getting shows transferred to my dad. It seems to initiate ok, but when he accepts, he gets no transfer rate (0%) and some message about internet problems.

Also, I can't seem to get my two RTVs behind my router to find each other. I enter in the RTV #, but neither machine seems to be able to find the other (I use two different ports for them).

Any advice on the two issues above?

· Registered
915 Posts
On the second issue, your router might not allow for what you're trying to do. In order for IVS to work locally, one local unit tries to establish a connection with another local unit but going outside the router and coming back in. Some routers don't support this. Ideally, we'd have a local copy feature.

On the first issue, if you can both remove each other from your addressbooks and add each other back, you should be able to send. I can have QA try to send each of you a test clip. I just need to know your ISNs and which RTVs you have.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By the way, I'm using a netgear router, RP614.

Looks like I messed with it enough, a show has started transferring to my dad's machine. On my third attempt.

I take it both machines must be properly set up via rounter (proper port forwarding) before things go right? Both RTV's act as servers for the transfer vice just one of them?

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Yes

The receiving end is the server when you queue a file transfer....(the sender does some HTTP requests to queue the transfer)

But, then the sending end is the server for the actual transfer (the receiver does HTTP requests to do the transfer).

The Dreamer

· Registered
915 Posts
Ted, what did you change?

Technically, if you can add someone, their router setup is fine. If they can add you, your router setup is fine. So, unless something changed between the adding, nothing more should need to be done.

Lyndon

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first problem is my dad's (receiving the show) router changed the forwarded port from the RTV to one of his computers. Luckily, last time I was there, I had the foresight to allow remote management of his router, so I can access it anytime I need from my home.

Once I fixed his router issue, I was able to send the show to him, but the show wouldn't transfer.

My router had done the same thing to me, moved my internal IP addresses around so the port forwarding drifted to one of my PCs. Wish there was some way of nailing down the IP addresses within my network so they wouldn't drift around on me when the router gets reset.

Once I fixed that, the show started to transfer (the original attempt no less, looks like the RTVs continue to try and doesn't give up).

This appears consistent with TheDreamer's post.

Appreciate the help provided in this thread.

· Registered
202 Posts
As for ip address problems I would hard code you ip addresses in the replay Units. Some routers also allow to code what ip address to give to a particular mac address, but not all allow this. If you transfer much I would look into doing either one of these steps.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
Ted, this was just discussed by Alan in another thread. A thread about sending me a test segment.

From what I understood, the 5k can reset themselves and "forget" the static settings. Without entering setup and accepting the static address the unit is running with a DHCP address, if there was a DHCP server giving out addresses.

The suggestion by alan, set you replay to use DHCP. Better if your router allows assiging addresses from mac addresses (as berg said above), but not all routers allow this. Then set the lease time to the address on the router to a "long time" I don't know what exactly a long time is for the replay. I'd give 5-7 days?

That way if the replay don't refresh the IP address it DHCP server will reserve it for the MAC address which previously had it.

Seemed like the best solution to me.

· Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
...Then set the lease time to the address on the router to a "long time" I don't know what exactly a long time is for the replay. I'd give 5-7 days?...
How about months or years? As long as your router will allow. The point is that when the lease is up, if you've got your router set to hand out IP addresses within a range of greater than one and there are any slots left over, you run the risk that the dchp server in the router wil hand out an IP address different from the IP address that you are port forwarding to. That's easy to fix, of course, but the whole point is to set things up so you never have to worry about it.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I have managed getting both routers to settle with reserving IP's for these RTVs. Neither router (netgear or siemens) seem to have an expiration date for when that reservation quits.

I left the RTV settle with automatic assignments.

· Registered
24 Posts
I am having a similar problem. I have two replayTV 5040 units on a local network. I cannot get them to see each other at all. One of the main reasons I got a second unit was to be able to watch shows in either the bedroom or living room.

So.....I am using a Dlink DI 604 router ....it connects to two different Linksys WET11 wireless bridges which in turn connect to the Replay units.

I am running DHCP only for the two replay units, all my other computers and such are static. I don't know how to change the port the replay tv's are using so maybe there is a conflict there? How do I change it? Any other suggestions? How can I set a static IP for the replay units?

BTW I can force updates to the channel guide no prob on either unit so I'm sure the network is fine. I also have a music server hooked to one of the WET11's local connection and use it all the time. (yeah there is a switch in there too)

Thanx for any help.

· Registered
24 Posts
UPDATE:

I found where to set the IP address manually, but when I put in all the settings it always says my gateway is inaccesible.

WTH? I know it is accesible because it has to go through that to get the channel guide.

Any ideas?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.