AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all these years, the mystery lingers. What is being transferred during that part of the net connect?

I've always thought that the DVR stores every click we make and every show we watch. Then all that data goes up to the mothership for marketing research. Am I right?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuman /forum/post/20768519

I've always thought that the DVR stores every click we make and every show we watch. Then all that data goes up to the mothership for marketing research. Am I right?

Yes.

You're right. Took me years to figure out, I thought I had it hidden, but dammit, all those midget bondage p0rn catalogs I get in the mail are because of the dammed replay.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuman /forum/post/20790443

So seriously... what gets transferred during "Transferring Additional Information."

Hmmm, well, I think show information for MyReplayTV (at least used to) get transferred (if you have it enabled), maybe some of the syslogs from the Replay get sent for troubleshooting purposes.

To be honest, I am not sure what else might be transferred (and I am not even sure about the ones I mentioned above).

If you get your guide data from WiRNS you can look in the log and try to see what is logged during that time, but it probably won't tell you much, I think it may say it is downloading some zones, but who knows what is included in those zones???

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space /forum/post/20790499

...If you get your guide data from WiRNS you can look in the log and try to see what is logged during that time, but it probably won't tell you much, I think it may say it is downloading some zones, but who knows what is included in those zones???

Is there no way to *trap* that and see what it is?

Rememeber at one time they logged user/viewer data, but later I believe they had to remove the usage logging.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
A ReplayTV representitive told me that though it always shows the 'Transferring Additional Information... ' message nothing else is actually being transfered unless you have Vonage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.