AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Comcast DVR right now and am wanting to transfer some of the stuf I have stored on it ot my new Toshiba XS34. My question what is the best way to hook up my Toshiba to get the best possible picture? I have seen on other forums of people being able to transfer content via Firewire and was curious if this is possible or do I need to use my component hook ups. Also in the future how should I do this? Shoudl I just save the programs straight to the Toshiba or go from the Comcast DVR to the Toshiba. Thanks for you help on this.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think you mean "composite", not "component hook ups", since the XS34 doesn't have component input. You may be able to transfer programming via Firewire, although I had no luck getting this to work with my Sony XBR TV and Pioneer 533. I suspect it was my own fault, and I'll get back to it later.

If your Comcast DVR is similar to DirecTivo, then the Comcast DVR is a much better way, and possibly the only way to control scheduled recordings.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by probepro
... You may be able to transfer programming via Firewire, although I had no luck getting this to work with my Sony XBR TV and Pioneer 533. I suspect it was my own fault, and I'll get back to it later. ...
Unfortunately, FireWire for DVD recorders is not the same as FireWire for HDTV recording. The payload carried over the FireWire "pipe" is not the same.

FireWire for DVD recorders is setup for DV only, being compatible with mini-DV digital video camcorders and comparable standalone A/D video converters with DV outputs.

FireWire for HDTV STBs, HD tape recorders and HDTVs is setup for MPEG-2 only.

Mac and PC computers can handle either with the right combinations of cards, drivers and applications.

So, you will never be able to successfully connect your HDTV device FireWire output to your DVD recorder FireWire input.

That said, I have made some excellent DVD recordings of programs I originally recorded on my HD TiVo unit, using S-video and stereo L+R audio connections. I lose the DD 5.1 audio, which is "downconverted" to Dolby ProLogic II by the HD TiVo prior to the analog L+R stereo outputs.

To do this, I set my HD TiVo for 480i output and I set the aspect ratio such that I get an anamorphic, vertically stretched picture that fills a 4x3 monitor screen.

When I play them back, the 16x9 screen horizontally stretches the anamorphic picture back to proper dimensions, like an "enhanced for widescreen" DVD does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.