Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a bunch of old football games and some other sporting events on VHS tapes that I would like to archive on DVD's. It seems the E80 has been getting high praise so even though I don't own one, I was wondering:

1. Has anybody been doing this?

2. Do you use two DVD's since it is over two hours long? Or the LP quality is not that bad?

3. I could edit out the commercials and half-time to possibly get it down to two hours before I burn the DVD, correct?

I want to start transferring stuff to DVD for longevity purposes. Not to mention my wife wants these ugly looking VHS tapes out of sight!

Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the E50, but your questions apply to both models.

1. Yes, I've been transferring my VHS sports tapes to DVD.

2. In my opinion, anything less than SP (2 hours) is not watchable (it's okay for regular TV but not for sports - too pixelated). Personally, I try to edit the games down to under 2 hours. There's always a 3 and out series or two you can live without.

3. You could dump the whole tape to the hard drive and edit from there, or edit out the commercials when transferring. You should be able to get under 2 hours for most games. It does have a "flex" mode where you enter the total time and it switches modes for you.

Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rsingleton
It does have a "flex" mode where you enter the total time and it switches modes for you.
The flex mode sounds interesting but I don't think I would want the last part of a game to be LP mode because there was not enough time left on the DVD to finish.

How do your copies compare to the original on VHS? I have seen some posts here saying that the E80(not sure about the E50) cleans up the copy some so that it looks just as good if not better than the VHS original.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Quote:
The flex mode sounds interesting but I don't think I would want the last part of a game to be LP mode because there was not enough time left on the DVD to finish.
That's not how the flexible recording (FR) mode works on the E80. FR will use the best quality compression rate to fit the recording on a single disc based on the FR time you enter. For example, a FR time of 1:30 would give you a recording quality theoritically halfway between 1 hour XP and 2 hour SP modes. A FR time of 2:20 should be only slightly lower in quality than the 2 hr SP mode, and should be enough time to fit most football games onto a single disc (after editing out commercials).

You can use FR to record to the hard drive. The FR time still bases the compression quality on fitting the recording onto a single 4.7GB DVD-R or DVD-RAM disc, even though you are recording to the hard drive. After recording to the HD and editing unwanted material, you can then perform a high-speed dub to a DVD-R with absolutely no loss in quality from the recording on the HD.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just to clarify:

What you're saying is the player calculates a "mode" somewhere between SP and EP (for a 3 hour program for example) and uses a constant rate the whole time? I didn't realize that's how it worked.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott M
FR will use the best quality compression rate to fit the recording on a single disc based on the FR time you enter.
That sounds like a better solution then the one I was thinking of in my post. I think I might have to go to Panny's website and download the manual to do some reading. I think they might have a prospective buyer on their hands.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
uses a constant rate the whole time?
No it uses an average bit rate based on the desired duration, the recording is still done in variable bit rate mode meaning that the instantaneous bit rate can vary as necessary based on scene content but within the constraints of the avg. bit rate set up front.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by vferrari
meaning that the instantaneous bit rate can vary as necessary based on scene content
Can you expand on that a bit? Do you mean that during action sequences the recorder will speed up the bit rate to capture a clearer picture and then slow down during non-action periods?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Do you mean that during action sequences the recorder will speed up the bit rate to capture a clearer picture and then slow down during non-action periods?
Yes. But the degree to which it can instataneously compensate for action is limited by the average bit rate, so a 2.5 hr FR recording cannot compensate for action as well as a 1.5 hr FR recording because the former's avg bit rate is lower and that limits the maximum instantaneous bitrate. In addition the 2.5 hr FR recording will have a lower resolution (352x480) vs. 704x480 for the 1.5 hr FR recording (FR resolution for the ENTIRE recording downshifts from 704x480 to 352x480 for recording durations set to greater than approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes). The variable bit rate (VBR) nature of the Panasonic encoder can be observed firsthand by pressing the status button (at least on the E30/HS2, not sure about the other models) until the instaneous bit rate display overlay comes onscreen.

Vic

·
Registered
856 Posts
Will this unit work with a Cable Box? Or is it like my VCR in that I had to place it prior to the cable box with the coax (so I could get it to do timer recordings), but lost the ability to record higher end channels (showtime, HBO).

·
Registered
168 Posts
You certainly want to connect it with composite video (RCA jack) or S-Video, so it means the DMR-E80 would be downstream of the cable box.

Go to the Panasonic website at panasonic.com/support/ and click Operating Manuals Online , then enter DMR-E80H as the model number. (Sorry, I am too new of a member to create hotlinks yet).

You will get the manual (needs free Acrobat Reader to view it). The manual is sort of marginal, but it depticts various hookups, and a cable box is among them.

Note: From reading the manual, it appears that the DMR-E80 cannot control a cable or satellite box, thus you are really stuck if you are relying on the cable/satellite box to be on the correct channel, or (say) you want to record two different programs in the middle of the night on different channels.

The manual indicates that the DMR-E80 has a 'cable ready' tuner, but if you need the cable box or satellite box you are in a tough spot.

I guess there are programmable remotes that you can buy that you program and leave it aimed at your equipment and it will blast out the codes at the right time for both the cable box and the 'other' equipment (in this case your DVD recorder). I dunno what those kind of remotes are called, but maybe that would be a solution...

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Also, many cable boxes have programmable timers now, as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by vferrari
Yes. But the degree to which it can instataneously ........
Thanks for the information Vic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.