AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night we were watching trailers on vudu and came across this. I've hoped this would happen on bluray but if streaming is the future then Im interested. Vudu maybe the source. HDX+enhanced for 2.35 please.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Link!!!???

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX
Link!!!???
Accessed it through my Oppo. I think any Vudu ready device should. I originally notice while using my samsung plasmas Vudu app. Sure would be sweet to see bluray and Vudu HDX go 2.35 enhanced. I remember us having enhanced for 16x9 well before those sets were mass produced. What's the big deal. Gives us our 2.35 enhanced.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Phillips already lead the way with ST shift thanks to their Cinema 21:9 mode. It would be sweat if OPPO did the same. And yes we need 21:9 enhanced BDs. It is often raised that it would not be compatible with 16:9 TVs. And who cares because the there is still a 16:9 setting in the set up menu which means anyone with a 16:9 TV will continue to watch letter boxed images.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see why they couldn't do the same. The ratio is the same between 16x9 and 2.35 as it was with 4x3 and 16x9. Enhanced for 2.35 should be the same as enhanced for 16x9. Then you throw out every fourth line for letterbox on 16x9.

·
Registered
29,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX
Phillips already lead the way with ST shift thanks to their Cinema 21:9 mode. It would be sweat if OPPO did the same.
OPPO does include subtitle shift in its Blu-ray players.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/20841664

OPPO does include subtitle shift in its Blu-ray players.

I meant adding a 21:9 mode. Of course we still need a studio to think outside the 1.78:1 box and entertain the idea of a 2560 x 1080 encode.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/20848664

I meant adding a 21:9 mode. Of course we still need a studio to think outside the 1.78:1 box and entertain the idea of a 2560 x 1080 encode.

We only need the full panel use, 1080x1920 w/anamorphic squeeze. Then no scaling is needed, just an A lens. Just like the above mentioned trailer.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda /forum/post/20848703

We only need the full panel use, 1080x1920 w/anamorphic squeeze. Then no scaling is needed, just an A lens. Just like the above mentioned trailer.

Yes we do, but what about 21:9 in general? If 21:9 is to succeed 16:9, there has be a full scale user base. I'm afraid we are not it.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
With almost no scope users in the world, 2.35 has a long way to go.

Not that there are NO users, but when looking at tv/projector sales, the number of people doing 2.35 is likely .0001% or something. Yes, a complete random guess.

I'm hoping we first see some more 2.35 projectors come to market. I think that potential is there to use for home theater, and I expect it in the next couple of years with more affordable units than the Projection Design unit out there already.

I just don't see Blu-ray changing up to an anamorphic encode. Is there any reason why they couldn't go up to a native 2560x1080 encode?

That is, if none of the existing players can do anamorphic encodes, and HDMI 1.4 can handle 4k resolution, then it seems like I would rather have a native 2.35 encode on the disc, and a projector/tv which is also native 2.35.

Just like buying a 3D blu-ray player, I would have to buy a native anamorphic player, but it certainly would pique my interest to see that come to market instead of just anamorphic discs which may not play back in many current generation BD players.

Just thinking about it all.

·
Registered
626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated /forum/post/20848905

Just like buying a 3D blu-ray player, I would have to buy a native anamorphic player, but it certainly would pique my interest to see that come to market instead of just anamorphic discs which may not play back in many current generation BD players.

What we (at least me, guessing others too) are looking for in an "Anamorphic Enhanced" blu-ray, is one that offers the movie pre-stretched using full 1080p resolution. This disc would play just fine in all existing blu-ray players as there is nothing different anout it, its a 16:9 image that would require an anamorphic lens to view the movie properly in its native aspect ratio.

-Sean

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN /forum/post/20849200

What we (at least me, guessing others too) are looking for in an "Anamorphic Enhanced" blu-ray, is one that offers the movie pre-stretched using full 1080p resolution. This disc would play just fine in all existing blu-ray players as there is nothing different anout it, its a 16:9 image that would require an anamorphic lens to view the movie properly in its native aspect ratio.

-Sean

Exactly my point. I know bluray doesn't have an anamorphic profile, though there was some talk of 20x9. But, studios could have a 2.35 version included like they do with 3D blurays now. Or if we had a anamorphic version, you could set existing bluray players for 4x3 tv allowing for proper zoomed 2.35 and letterboxed 16x9 tv viewing. This would fit in the bluray spec. The only thing that would have to be purchased is the media. No new equipment. Streaming media could certainly do it.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated /forum/post/20848905

With almost no scope users in the world, 2.35 has a long way to go.

Not that there are NO users, but when looking at tv/projector sales, the number of people doing 2.35 is likely .0001% or something. Yes, a complete random guess.

Was it that different say 10 years ago with 16:9? How many wouldn't give their 4 x 3 TVs?

Quote:
I'm hoping we first see some more 2.35 projectors come to market. I think that potential is there to use for home theater, and I expect it in the next couple of years with more affordable units than the Projection Design unit out there already.

I just don't see Blu-ray changing up to an anamorphic encode. Is there any reason why they couldn't go up to a native 2560x1080 encode?

And that is the catch right there. You can have 100 different projectors starting from $1000, but unless there is software to support it, people won't won't move on from what they have now.
Quote:
That is, if none of the existing players can do anamorphic encodes, and HDMI 1.4 can handle 4k resolution, then it seems like I would rather have a native 2.35 encode on the disc, and a projector/tv which is also native 2.35.

Makes sense to me too, but according to governing bodies like SMPTE, 3D is more important that Scope.

Quote:

An Anamorphic disc would play back on any player. The issue would be the geometry where on a 16:9 TV, it would appear vertically stretched. Because there is no "anamorphic enhancement" standard for BD, there is no way for the way for the player to remove every fourth line and compress the image into a letter box for compatibility with 16:9 TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN /forum/post/20849200

-Sean

And as I mentioned, it would need to be backwards compatible with current 16:9 technology - kind of like having 4 x 3 setting in players. Whilst we feel we are ready for the next step, there are still those gripping for life onto the older tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda /forum/post/20849994

Exactly my point. I know bluray doesn't have an anamorphic profile, though there was some talk of 20x9. But, studios could have a 2.35 version included like they do with 3D blurays now. Or if we had a anamorphic version, you could set existing bluray players for 4x3 tv allowing for proper zoomed 2.35 and letterboxed 16x9 tv viewing. This would fit in the bluray spec. The only thing that would have to be purchased is the media. No new equipment. Streaming media could certainly do it.

See that won't work. 3D made the purchase of new equipment manditory. No way would the BD association (or what they call themselves) allow the specs to be changed with out the revenue generation through the sale of new hardware.

·
Registered
29,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/20848664

I meant adding a 21:9 mode.

The Philips "Cinema 21:9" mode doesn't do a vertical stretch either. It can only adjust subtitle position.

·
Registered
29,362 Posts
Back to the original topic, I checked out this trailer on VUDU last night. While 21:9, it appears to be 720p and has severe color banding artifacts. Unfortunately, it's not the best CIH demo.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I am not sure how the BD specs would need to be changed but I can see this happening. Yes, I acknowledge that there are precious few of us with 2.35:1 set-ups, but I do not think that widespread CIH adoption is not essential to getting "anamorphic" 2.35:1 blu-rays.

Why? Because the media and technology companies are always looking for the next thing to squeeze additional profit even if it is a minor expansion of an existing format. We had letterbox VHS tapes and laserdiscs without 16:9 TVs and when HDTVs started rolling out, newer dvds became "enhanced for 16:9 displays" despite being perfectly playable on existing 4:3 televisions. While some would argue that the 2.35:1 audience is negligble, the 16:9 audience may want the extra juice in a full 2.35:1 picture squeezed onto their displays just as some traded their existing dvds for "superbit" versions. Indeed, enhanced or 2560X1080 blu-rays could be marketed as HD+

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/20852719

The Philips "Cinema 21:9" mode doesn't do a vertical stretch either. It can only adjust subtitle position.

Correct because at this time, only 16:9 discs have been authored. We don't know the full potential of what Phillips may or may not have designed this feature to do because there is no software for it yet.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovox /forum/post/20854559

Indeed, enhanced or 2560X1080 blu-rays could be marketed as HD+

Ahh bliss

Maybe that is why Star Wars is coming out now - just like its DVD counter part, 12 months before something newer and better was to be released - *cough* Blu-ray. I say bring it on. We'll find a way to make it work and take advantage of the 33% greater rez it offers.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/20852724

Back to the original topic, I checked out this trailer on VUDU last night. While 21:9, it appears to be 720p and has severe color banding artifacts. Unfortunately, it's not the best CIH demo.

As you may already know, with Vudu you have to manually pick the resolution. SD=480P, 1-2 mbps, HD=720P, 2.25-4.5 mbps, HDX=1080P, 4.5-9.0 mbps needed. It's clearly isn't the best trailer for the reason's Josh listed. I will say this though. Nothing comes as close to Bluray as Vudu does. I don't mind paying $5.99 too much with this type of quality.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.