AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 853 Posts

·
Banned
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reports of low LFE are concerning giving the other glowing reports. One poster who had low LFE bought another HD-DVD copy and the LFE was intact while being absent on his first copy. Another member who had the low LFE on the HD-DVD got a copy of the SD-DVD and it was a night and day difference as the LFE was there on the SD-DVD and was noticable right away while being absent on the HD-DVD. There could be some bad discs going around and it would be good to get the disc numbers from people who are having problems with LFE as well as those who are not to see if we can isolate this to certain discs. I believe the disc number is on the rim of the disc.

What is your Transformers HD-DVD disc number and is your LFE good or noticably weak?

·
Banned
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp777 /forum/post/11961084

I'm very skeptical that different lot numbers have variations in audio track but I guess anything is possible.

It has happened in the past with certain DVD's, so you never know. The fact that one poster had 2 different copies of the Transformers HD-DVD and one had noticably better LFE than the other is concerning and would support this theory.

It cant hurt for people to post the disc numbers and if they are having issues or not.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Disc # 13128

LFE: excellant (except at the beginning, when the huge shockwave goes off, it seems like there should be a lot bass there, but there isnt. Probably the sound design though)

I'd also like to note, that I think the volume is set way too low. The problem with this is that I have to crank it up a lot, and during quieter scenes, I get very annoying buzzing coming through my speakers, because the volume on my reciever is so high.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I do not know what disc I have I'll check but I just watched it. If it's lacking bass I'd hate to hear one that is not.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I didn't read any reviews on Transformers prior to watching. When I watched it, I was impressed by the bass. So, I'd say LFE is intact on my disc.

The disc number is 13128.

·
Registered
173 Posts
my disc # is also 13128 but i had little bass. had to turn it way up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Disc #13128

LFE: Excellant from beginning to end. No problems with volume's at any point either! I'm beginning to think that 99.999% of these so called problems with "combos" "Sync" and "Volumes" and the latest one is "downloading cookies" are being manufactured by certain people that don't like HD DVD! I dont have nearly as many movies as a lot of people here at AVS, But I do have 9 titles, of which 5 are combos. NOT one disk has giving me ANY problems period! I bought superman returns day one, plays perfect, 300.. the same. One thing I have noticed though, It's only the BIG hit or popular movies that have so called problems. I've never heard one complaint about the movie The Break Up combo! How is it that ONLY the Big movies have problems? Netflix? I've rented atleast 35 to 45 HD DVD's from them and again ... No Problems! Heroes HD DVD's, downloaded the cookies.. played great! Transformers.. the same! Sorry to rant about it but its starting to get on my nerves!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Mine's either 13127 or 340460, those are the only 2 numbers I can find. The bass at times sounds ok, but at others sounds anemic (the blackout base attack at the beginning pales in comparison to what I saw at the theater.) It never really sounds like it should though. Kong sounds pretty much flawless using all of the same settings/equipment.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I concurr. I remember the base attack at the theaters having tremendous bass during the shockwave. It was so low I started to check my system to make sure something was not wrong.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceperson /forum/post/11961334

Mine's either 13127 or 340460, those are the only 2 numbers I can find. The bass at times sounds ok, but at others sounds anemic (the blackout base attack at the beginning pales in comparison to what I saw at the theater.) It never really sounds like it should though. Kong sounds pretty much flawless using all of the same settings/equipment.

These are the type of reports I am talking about. If you can, try the SD-DVD and see if the blackout base attack LFE is noticably better, or if you can try another HD-DVD and see if you have different results.

For what it is worth, the poster who tried the SD-DVD after the low LFE HD-DVD reported that the blackout base attack was an entirely different experience on the SD version as it "shook his home windows". I am thinking there is a difference in discs as some are reporting insane LFE (which is what should be coming from this movie).

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I think the Blackout shockwave(the big one) at the beginning, might not sound like it has enough LFE. Because it is so reminiscent of that big shockwave at the beginning of LOTR(that thing has awesome bass)

at least tha's what I thought. same thing happend to me in the theater. you see it and you think there should be low bass a second later(kinda like the depth charges in AOTC)

everything else sounds appropriate. the little cannon flip. the foot steps. explosions. And my personal favorite-Starscream's turbines spooling as he's transforming, and then the explosion when he just rockets off.
(that's so satisfying because of the way it pans too)

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only number I found on my disc is 340461. Bass sounds great. There wasn't much during the shockwave people are referencing, but there were many instances of deep bass throughout the film. HD-A2->HDMI->Yamaha HTR-6090->Outlaw LFM-1 Plus

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
i had to turn my meager sub (as-p400) down from 8 to 6-6.5 at times with the tx-sr705 @ -10 dB in a 25x15x12 room. 10" driver definitely producing 'feel' worthy lows. I can't imagine what would happen if i actually had a 'good' sub like a lot of people here.

no low LFE here

additional info:

'13128' under 'proof of purchase' above the barcode if that's whats being asked for.

connected to tx-sr705 by hdmi cable from monoprice from hd-a20 PCM conversion of DD+ track.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
131280 was my number as well. I had to crank up my sub over 5 decibels to get that solid bass feel back again, and even then the low frequences like the 2 shockwave scene's just weren't right.

1 - 20 of 853 Posts