AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
You guys need to check and make sure you DONT have dynamic range compression turned on. It cuts the epaks off the highs and lows and kills your LFE.....Other users who report sound problems with this disk have fixed it by setting dynamic range compression to "off"

If you recently updated your player, trust me, the settings were reset by that firmware update.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
maybe the bass was so deep you people can't hear it?? Mine sounded fine to me. although the bass wasn't loud, it was deep enough to rattle things in my room. I'm using a 10inch HSU sub.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm using four 15" AE IB15's in an IB sub powered by 2800 watts equalized by a behringer feedback destroyer and Audessey on my Onkyo 805 and the bass was nearly non-existent.

I stopped the movie to make sure that everything was set right and eventually used the "pure-audio" setting on the receiver.

Toshiba HD XA2

Dynamic range off

speakers: small

PCM

·
Registered
591 Posts
My LFE was so bad I came STRAIGHT here wondering if something was wrong.

I switched in Ridick (sp?) and it shook my house, same settings.

The whole thing was wonky IMHO - surround sound was lacking at times, voice was wack...

what the hell was with no DTS too?

I think I was getting a signal on par with -30 on my lfe channel - it was there and working...but a total joke.

Using a 1st gen fully patched tosh hddvd player. I also have a ps3 so im a fanboi of both - i just want to have my nuts shake during a movie...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've got 13128 as well, and it sounded fine to me. The front door was rattling. My roommates friend brought over a copy of the standard def version, and I just tested out both at the same volume at the Blackout attack. The SD sounded downright anemic by comparison. Probably has to do with my 360 add-on being set to DTS for HD DVD. I dunno. I turned up the SD version to a comparable volume, and didn't notice any extra bass to the sonic boom he lets out.

However, I did have to delete a 3MB cookie (or whatever) to get it to play. First time I watched it, it went fine. Wed. night it froze at the loading screen (the bars next to the word "loading", and the little flash going across the borders froze), so I had to turn it off and delete all the cookies. Now it did the same thing.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hey there HockeyTownFan stop being so ignorant to the problems HDDVD has, noone is trying to spread bad press people come on here to talk about legit issues and with all the movies you claimed you have watched on your player you must have experienced at least one of them. I have experienced almost every single problem you can with HDDVD but I still love it, I just have to accept that until other companies besides Toshiba make players this is what I have to deal with...

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mathis /forum/post/11961808

Toshiba HD XA2

Dynamic range off

speakers: small

PCM

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but you definitely want to have all of the speakers set to "large" in the XA2's settings when using HDMI. The speaker settings in the Toshiba HD DVD players that have multichannel analog output affect PCM output over HDMI as well. By setting the speakers to "small", bass management is being done in the player. Therefore, the player isn't sending a full-range signal to your AVR. This will result in weaker and incorrect bass that is not LFE. When connected via HDMI, using bass management and distance settings in the player is only useful if you are for some reason bypassing these settings in your AVR and need them used somewhere in the signal chain.

Once again, this shouldn't explain the Transformers issue, but this is important to consider if you want everything setup properly.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I am not getting up from my recliner to check the #...but my room was rattling and shaking from the bass...any more and my roof would be on top of me.

·
Registered
732 Posts

This thing used more LFE than I can ever recall being used in any single film.

LFE was not just a tacked on after thought to a few explosions. Every giant robot footfall, every boom, anything that got near the bottom of the frequency range got some LFE lovin', without being overblown. It's like it goes down to LFE zone and continues... when you should be shaking and not hearing the bass so much, there's LFE down there.. man

I could listen to this movie blind and enjoy it !

This is on a 360 AO, outputting DTS into a Pioneer VSX-D812K receiver (new enough for 6/7.1, old enough to not do WMA Pro). All my speakers in my receiver are set to large, but subwoofer off (I let it mix the LFE into my front mains, Infinity IL50's with integrated 250W subs each, they are set to pull LFE internally crossovered from the speaker inputs .. this way they can do full range as they see fit even if I turn off all processing and operate in direct stereo)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper /forum/post/11961503

131280 was my number as well. I had to crank up my sub over 5 decibels to get that solid bass feel back again, and even then the low frequences like the 2 shockwave scene's just weren't right.

I have the same number and feel the same way. Bass felt missing. Maybe I can go in for an exchange?

·
Registered
4,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 /forum/post/11962197

I have the same number and feel the same way. Bass felt missing. Maybe I can go in for an exchange?

ok, I feel like an idiot. I had for some reason Dialogue normalizaton and Dynamic range thingamajig turned on in my A2. Turned them both off and the bass was earth shattering!!!, I must not have changed them from my last firmware update. ai yai yai, I still had to increase the bass about 2 DB in comparison to several other movies to get that same punch but it was much less than I had to crank it up to get the bass before.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton /forum/post/11961496

I just watched it and thought the bass was lacking. I was disappointed with the soundtrack.

Buy a real audio system then, dude.. it rocked in my house lol

·
Registered
391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarftosser /forum/post/11961685

You guys need to check and make sure you DONT have dynamic range compression turned on. It cuts the epaks off the highs and lows and kills your LFE.....Other users who report sound problems with this disk have fixed it by setting dynamic range compression to "off"

If you recently updated your player, trust me, the settings were reset by that firmware update.

it has to be something like this! I have a three story house, the top story is the master bedroom. my home theater is in my basement witch isn't included in the three story's, so in reality my bedroom is three story's above my home theater. Every picture frame (22 Picture Frame's) were unlevel after this movie! who knows... maybe I got lucky and bought the HD DVD that was first in line after the master!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Has anyone considered mailing to Paramount about this? It's nice to start a thread and all, but they should be the first ones knowing about this issue (if it is one)

Cinema's often crank the bass up to excite people, we don't know how far up the volume was do we? Maybe it IS an issue, maybe it is not. Only one way to find out

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
How abut we concentrate on the shockwave scene, because I do get good bass at times but the beginning was distinctly lacking.

·
Registered
631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan /forum/post/11962345

No ignorance here! No I haven't had a single problem that I've heard here over and over again! but really, while we are talking about problems... why don't my fantasic 4 blurry play at all? How come every disney blurry takes FOREVER to load? and when it loads... the **** still dont play right! it goes both ways!!! I'm so tired of hearing ********!!

I'm the J6P that everyone talks about here. I'm a simple supervisor in some dirty factory in detroit. I bearly make enough to be called middle class. I use an xbox add on for my movies. WHY.. with my little hd dvd set up that is basically chump change to you guys with your mega set ups does mine play perfect and you with your 2mill setup cant play ****? its just blurry guys wishing that transformers was with sony and not toshiba! Facts... HD DVD is friggen awesome and there is NO DOUBT in my mind that blurry could NEVER achive the same result as HD DVD did with transformers!!!

My sound is friggen Great!!! Cookies... Not one problem!!! PQ... World class!!

Volume levels.. Mint! For awhile I was thinking I was the luckiest SOB around with HD DVD because I never had a combo,sync,volume,cookie,netflix problem!! But the more I read and the more I listen, The blurry crowd seems to be the only people that have problems with the HD DVD disks!!! I use a 65swx20b hitachi NON-ISF'D RPTV, pioneer VSX-D811S surround sound (El-Cheapo), Yamaha ns-777 fronts,ns-c444 center,ns-333 4 rears (2 side, 2 rear),Yamaha YST-SW305 secondary sub, Klipsch SKW-12 primary sub, Xbox360 Add on HD DVD player, With this simple set up.... WHY, WHY dont I have problems!!!

Calm the &*(^ down already!

Stop accusing BD owners from the only ones having trouble with HD DVD playback cause they aren't. Both formats have issues. What do you use for BD playback anyway? Samsung's worst BD player ever?

Quote:
Facts... HD DVD is friggen awesome and there is NO DOUBT in my mind that blurry could NEVER achive the same result as HD DVD did with transformers!!!

Facts? I call it trolling at best cause you can't back any of this stuff up!

21 - 40 of 853 Posts