AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
Maybe this is my problem. I'll have to ask NAD as the docs are unclear.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrebnh /forum/post/12013237


But you'll admit I shouldn't have to level match DD to DTS off the same disc, right? All I'm doing is changing the output on the x360...

Same disc? I thought we were comparing the HD DVD to the SD DVD (and Dave Vaughn said that the HD DVD was ~8 dB lower than the SD DVD.)

Even if you're comparing a DTS track to a DD track on the same DVD, there can be - and usually is - a difference in levels that has to be taken into account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrebnh /forum/post/0


fwiw, the DTS option was added as a patch a while ago and not part of the original add-on offering.

Yep. Around the same time they added DTS output, they also fixed the "locked into Midnight mode" error on the DD output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb /forum/post/12013506


Same disc? I thought we were comparing the HD DVD to the SD DVD (and Dave Vaughn said that the HD DVD was ~8 dB lower than the SD DVD.)

Even if you're comparing a DTS track to a DD track on the same DVD, there can be - and usually is - a difference in levels that has to be taken into account.

Yes, same HD-DVD disc. The add-on can be configured to output the DD+ track in either DD or DTS. With DD I get much stronger LFE than with the DTS option, even after level-matching the overall volume.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrebnh /forum/post/12013535


Yes, same HD-DVD disc. The add-on can be configured to output the DD+ track in either DD or DTS. With DD I get much stronger LFE than with the DTS option, even after level-matching the overall volume.

Weird. I know some receivers treat DD and DTS differently due to things like Dialog Normalization, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm really just guessing at this point, though.


How did you level-match? Did you use an SPL meter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
I just received my copy of the movie in Japan. I have to admit I thought the soundtrack was very good. I had allot of LFE going on, so much so my neighbors said they had their

floor shaking up stairs. I did notice the shockwave scene a little low in LFE, not what you would expect in a scene like that. But overall I was very impressed with the PQ/SQ of the HD DVD. I'm using dual PB12 Plus 2 subs dialed in with Velodyne SMS-1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb /forum/post/12011387


I didn't have to adjust my volume for this title at all. I certainly didn't have to have it " "cranked up" to make gun fire and explosions sufficiently "punchy" "


I don't know what to tell you - it was a winner for me. Might wanna double-check the DRC settings on your player, since you're complaining about "very little dynamic range." I believe the 2nd gen players have an "auto" mode that only works on DD+ (not DTHD) tracks. I think I also read that it can be set back to "on" or "auto" after a FW update...

Damn it, damn it, damn it... I HATE being wrong.


In fact, it turns out it was in "auto" mode after all -- after the most recent firmware update I assume. Just watched the first 30 minutes or so and it's night and day. Quite literally fixed everything that I disliked about the soundtrack on the first listen through.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Coupe /forum/post/12014262


Damn it, damn it, damn it... I HATE being wrong.


In fact, it turns out it was in "auto" mode after all -- after the most recent firmware update I assume. Just watched the first 30 minutes or so and it's night and day. Quite literally fixed everything that I disliked about the soundtrack on the first listen through.

Good deal - I'm glad you got it fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,768 Posts
It's time we except that this is an exceptional soundtrack. The shockwave is not all it could be, but the rest of the 'track is downright badass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
well, add me to the list of stupids. I played the Ironhide street scene with the x360 AO in both DD and DTS over and over ("Back...and to the left...back...and to the left") without touching the AVR volume once, and...


they sounded exactly the same (good) to all the ears in the room, and the rat-shack measured the same (+-1-2dB, it's not that accurate on LFE)...


I'm back in the 'no issues here' camp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrebnh /forum/post/12014701


well, add me to the list of stupids. I played the Ironhide street scene with the x360 AO in both DD and DTS over and over ("Back...and to the left...back...and to the left") without touching the AVR volume once, and...


they sounded exactly the same (good) to all the ears in the room, and the rat-shack measured the same (+-1-2dB, it's not that accurate on LFE)...


I'm back in the 'no issues here' camp.

I have both, and have heard no difference either. Nice JFK reference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
I have yamaha NS 777 towers for my front LR channels, and my wife and I watched the opening scene today with the sub turned OFF!


The floor has shaking just from the towers.


The LFE in this movie phenomenal, not just ok. Anyone who cant hear the LFE should check their crossovers.
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
37,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarftosser /forum/post/11961685


You guys need to check and make sure you DONT have dynamic range compression turned on. It cuts the epaks off the highs and lows and kills your LFE.....Other users who report sound problems with this disk have fixed it by setting dynamic range compression to "off"

If you recently updated your player, trust me, the settings were reset by that firmware update.


Yes. Big difference between auto/on and off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumoon /forum/post/12015148


I have yamaha NS 777 towers for my front LR channels, and my wife and I watched the opening scene today with the sub turned OFF!


The floor has shaking just from the towers.


The LFE in this movie phenomenal, not just ok. Anyone who cant hear the LFE should check their crossovers.

If your sub is off how do you know what the LFE is like since you no longer have the .1 channel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Well I am assuming LFE is the lower frequencies... If not, its a technical misconception on my part.


I am sorry. I should have said "low tones"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy /forum/post/12015305


If your sub is off how do you know what the LFE is like since you no longer have the .1 channel.

If speakers are set to large and LFE is not turned off in the AVR, you get the LFE channelled to the fronts. Of course they need to be able to play the frequencies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco /forum/post/12015585


If speakers are set to large and LFE is not turned off in the AVR, you get the LFE channelled to the fronts. Of course they need to be able to play the frequencies.

Hmm I need to read up on these receiver set ups. I think they are set to large cuz they are large speakers... The speakers (ns777's) have 2 8's a 5, and a horn/tweeter thing.


I know I set the room to medium, have no clue what that does...


Anyone have a good link for learning how to set a receiver up properly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumoon /forum/post/12015657


Hmm I need to read up on these receiver set ups. I think they are set to large cuz they are large speakers... The speakers (ns777's) have 2 8's a 5, and a horn/tweeter thing.

Your speakers must be set to large or else you wouldn't be getting any frequencies below your crossover point, resulting in virtually no bass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Set # 13128 and the sound is weak! 360 HD DRIVE with HT SR800. I was very disappointed...but they did mention it in many reviews its only Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 Surround, but still many scenes where cars were flipped sounded weak.


And I have a problem with my 360 HD Drive where I have to disconnect the internet or erase the cookie in order to play the movie...as it freezes on the loading screen.


Crazy...well at least it led me to this site! >=)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco /forum/post/12015585


If speakers are set to large and LFE is not turned off in the AVR, you get the LFE channelled to the fronts. Of course they need to be able to play the frequencies.

True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumoon /forum/post/12015657


Hmm I need to read up on these receiver set ups. I think they are set to large cuz they are large speakers... The speakers (ns777's) have 2 8's a 5, and a horn/tweeter thing.


I know I set the room to medium, have no clue what that does...


Anyone have a good link for learning how to set a receiver up properly?

Set all speakers to small with 80hz crossover and the subwoofer on as a start. Otherwise read your receiver manual. And browse some articles here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824554
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
Oh man this thread is something. I can't tell if the real issue is we didn't get what we expected, or if there is actually a technical issue.


The thing that keeps coming back to my mind is the DRASTIC difference between the SD DVD and the HD DVD. The SD DVD has LOADS more LFE on my setup. Thats the question I can't shake. Why?
 
561 - 580 of 853 Posts
Top