AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 853 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
I originally thought the bass in my Transformers disk was fine. That is, until I put in Hot Fuzz and had to lower the sub volume by about 12 decibels because the bass was rediculously out of control. So either my Transformers sucks, or Hot Fuzz has wayyy too much bass. I haven't calibrated in awhile, so I don't know which one is correct.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts
For your attention! LFE.1 is an unpredictable channel that can used at anytime with any type of level in output and frequency. One the filmmakers could have been asked to lower the dynamics as they might too intense! This was the case with the UK theatrical realise of The Da Vinci Code (2006), so just enjoy the film I'm sure the region 2 DVD will give me Empire JBL THX syndrome when it goes on general realise on 3rd December 2007.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiTOkenobi /forum/post/11961187


Disc # 13128


LFE: excellant (except at the beginning, when the huge shockwave goes off, it seems like there should be a lot bass there, but there isnt. Probably the sound design though)


I'd also like to note, that I think the volume is set way too low. The problem with this is that I have to crank it up a lot, and during quieter scenes, I get very annoying buzzing coming through my speakers, because the volume on my reciever is so high.

Let me assure you there was a HUGE shockwave when I saw this at the Empire on 26th July and with 56KW of JBL THX there wouldn’t be anything less than perfection on the low end. The wave jolted me back in the rocker chair with pleasing smile
that extended beyond the width of the largest THX screen in the UK!



It’s not the fault of the HD-DVD it’s more likely you’re home cinema, so re-calibrate it. The Empire often gets Dolby, in to align most films for the cinemas acoustics, something that most of you probably don’t do. You take all this (LFE.1) for granted and that’s what it really boils down to.


It’s an unpredictable channel that can happen at any moment, to support what ever the mixers or the director wishes, to add more support and drama to the films soundtrack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/11962060


I'm not saying that this is your problem, but you definitely want to have all of the speakers set to "large" in the XA2's settings when using HDMI. The speaker settings in the Toshiba HD DVD players that have multichannel analog output affect PCM output over HDMI as well. By setting the speakers to "small", bass management is being done in the player. Therefore, the player isn't sending a full-range signal to your AVR. This will result in weaker and incorrect bass that is not LFE. When connected via HDMI, using bass management and distance settings in the player is only useful if you are for some reason bypassing these settings in your AVR and need them used somewhere in the signal chain.


Once again, this shouldn't explain the Transformers issue, but this is important to consider if you want everything setup properly.

I can confirm this in my new XA2. If using HDMI sound, make sure that your speakers are set to Large in the player I also have the subwoofer set to on in the player, though that may not make a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan /forum/post/11961305


Disc #13128


LFE: Excellant from beginning to end. No problems with volume's at any point either! I'm beginning to think that 99.999% of these so called problems with "combos" "Sync" and "Volumes" and the latest one is "downloading cookies" are being manufactured by certain people that don't like HD DVD! I dont have nearly as many movies as a lot of people here at AVS, But I do have 9 titles, of which 5 are combos. NOT one disk has giving me ANY problems period! I bought superman returns day one, plays perfect, 300.. the same. One thing I have noticed though, It's only the BIG hit or popular movies that have so called problems. I've never heard one complaint about the movie The Break Up combo! How is it that ONLY the Big movies have problems? Netflix? I've rented atleast 35 to 45 HD DVD's from them and again ... No Problems! Heroes HD DVD's, downloaded the cookies.. played great! Transformers.. the same! Sorry to rant about it but its starting to get on my nerves!

REALLY? Get over yourself. There are problems, dude. I hate Blu-Ray, I mean I freakin' hate it, but come on!!!!!! There are problems with my chosen format, especially when it comes to this movie. Let's get real!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
I thought the bass was a little lacking as well (same with King Kong). I think I'm seeing that I should set:


Dialog normalization to 'OFF'

Dynamic compression to 'OFF'

All speakers to 'LARGE' (since I'm using HDMI)


.... any other tips for settings to check?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlogle /forum/post/11962855


REALLY? Get over yourself. There are problems, dude. I hate Blu-Ray, I mean I freakin' hate it, but come on!!!!!! There are problems with my chosen format, especially when it comes to this movie. Let's get real!!!!

Looks like the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray format war has transformed into a hate war! How's that for punch line.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfyncsu7 /forum/post/11962930


I thought the bass was a little lacking as well (same with King Kong). I think I'm seeing that I should set:


Dialog normalization to 'OFF'

Dynamic compression to 'OFF'

All speakers to 'LARGE' (since I'm using HDMI)


.... any other tips for settings to check?

Do you have pictures of what the front looks like and the surrounds, because I couldn’t fault “King Kong” (2005) even for region 2 DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
the frack? this isnt a BD hater thread - i have both - couldnt care less what format it comes on. One is input 2, the other 3...I mean QQ.


When the choper guy start owning the military base this is what I get.


The machine guns have no sound lower than about 1k, and only come from the center channel. His big blue splash has no LFE, no surround sound.


I can put it ANY other movie in HD DVD player and the pictures crash down in my house on the fracking credits at the same volume level...


I've been doing this a while, My system is as good as the money im willing to dump into it (15k or so) and the sound track is FRACKED UP on this disc. Or the mixing engineer was just totally high and forgot to press some buttons on the master recording.


I am going to acquire the SD version today and A/B in the same player/ same settings. Will report back when im off the wife's leash.


Twylight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
why would those sound setting affect anything? they are for the line outs on the player...unless you are using the line outs instead of HDMI...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,075 Posts
Rented the SD version from Blockbuster last night. My sub is a Hsu VTF3 HO w/turbo that I've plotted down to 13Hz in room and the SD version of Transfomers had sick bass that shook the heck out of my basement theater. There's plenty of bass in the movie on the SD version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/11962060


I'm not saying that this is your problem, but you definitely want to have all of the speakers set to "large" in the XA2's settings when using HDMI. The speaker settings in the Toshiba HD DVD players that have multichannel analog output affect PCM output over HDMI as well. By setting the speakers to "small", bass management is being done in the player. Therefore, the player isn't sending a full-range signal to your AVR. This will result in weaker and incorrect bass that is not LFE. When connected via HDMI, using bass management and distance settings in the player is only useful if you are for some reason bypassing these settings in your AVR and need them used somewhere in the signal chain.


Once again, this shouldn't explain the Transformers issue, but this is important to consider if you want everything setup properly.

Thank you for the tip. I will do it.


But. Let me also say that after I couldn't find any bass I set the receiver to "pure-audio" which shuts off the receiver's processing. I still didn't get any bass.


But I will set the speakers to large when I use my player next and I hope that everything works fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Well, the OP mentioned someone who tried 2 HD-DVD copies of Transformers and they sounded different from eachother in the LFE department in (I assume) the same setup...


Then there's the SD DVD which has LFE in bundles in the opening scene...?


I remember some discussion over the Revenge Of The Sith DVD - someone found the audio mix (specifically the LFE in certain scenes) to be lacking, while others found it to be reference quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Mine is 13128 based on the tag under the UPC code on the slip sleeve - 13127 on the back of the disc - edited
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mathis /forum/post/11963292


Thank you for the tip. I will do it.


But. Let me also say that after I couldn't find any bass I set the receiver to "pure-audio" which shuts off the receiver's processing. I still didn't get any bass.


But I will set the speakers to large when I use my player next and I hope that everything works fine.

Where do you find these settings in the XA2?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/11962060


I'm not saying that this is your problem, but you definitely want to have all of the speakers set to "large" in the XA2's settings when using HDMI. The speaker settings in the Toshiba HD DVD players that have multichannel analog output affect PCM output over HDMI as well. By setting the speakers to "small", bass management is being done in the player. Therefore, the player isn't sending a full-range signal to your AVR. This will result in weaker and incorrect bass that is not LFE. When connected via HDMI, using bass management and distance settings in the player is only useful if you are for some reason bypassing these settings in your AVR and need them used somewhere in the signal chain.


Once again, this shouldn't explain the Transformers issue, but this is important to consider if you want everything setup properly.

Where do you find these settings in the XA2? Ok I found the setting but what should I have the crossover to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
I don't know how I feel about the LFE on this title. I watched it last night with my son, and I had my receiver cranked to 0. I certainly wasn't overwhelmed with the LFE, even in the opening Blackout scene. However, if we're going to run with the theory that there could be too different encodes on the discs that are out there, I thought I would point out that while my case says 13128, my discs (both of them) say 13127. Therefore, when referencing a number, we should probably make sure we are speaking about the one on the disc itself.


For the record, I have an HD-XA2 with the following settings:


HDMI Audio to 'Auto'

Dialog normalization to 'OFF'

Dynamic compression to 'OFF'

All speakers to 'LARGE' (since I'm using HDMI)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan /forum/post/11962345


No ignorance here! No I haven't had a single problem that I've heard here over and over again! but really, while we are talking about problems... why don't my fantasic 4 blurry play at all? How come every disney blurry takes FOREVER to load? and when it loads... the **** still dont play right! it goes both ways!!! I'm so tired of hearing ********!!


I'm the J6P that everyone talks about here. I'm a simple supervisor in some dirty factory in detroit. I bearly make enough to be called middle class. I use an xbox add on for my movies. WHY.. with my little hd dvd set up that is basically chump change to you guys with your mega set ups does mine play perfect and you with your 2mill setup cant play ****? its just blurry guys wishing that transformers was with sony and not toshiba! Facts... HD DVD is friggen awesome and there is NO DOUBT in my mind that blurry could NEVER achive the same result as HD DVD did with transformers!!!


My sound is friggen Great!!! Cookies... Not one problem!!! PQ... World class!!

Volume levels.. Mint! For awhile I was thinking I was the luckiest SOB around with HD DVD because I never had a combo,sync,volume,cookie,netflix problem!! But the more I read and the more I listen, The blurry crowd seems to be the only people that have problems with the HD DVD disks!!! I use a 65swx20b hitachi NON-ISF'D RPTV, pioneer VSX-D811S surround sound (El-Cheapo), Yamaha ns-777 fronts,ns-c444 center,ns-333 4 rears (2 side, 2 rear),Yamaha YST-SW305 secondary sub, Klipsch SKW-12 primary sub, Xbox360 Add on HD DVD player, With this simple set up.... WHY, WHY dont I have problems!!!

Stop with the conspiracy nonsense.


I am format neutral and I have posted problems with both formats as have many other format neutral folks.


And as for the J6P stuff.


What does that have to do with it? I am not even a supervisor. I'm a steelworker and it has nothing to do with my ability to hear/feel bass.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twylight /forum/post/11963029


the frack? this isnt a BD hater thread - i have both - couldnt care less what format it comes on. One is input 2, the other 3...I mean QQ.


When the choper guy start owning the military base this is what I get.


The machine guns have no sound lower than about 1k, and only come from the center channel. His big blue splash has no LFE, no surround sound.


I can put it ANY other movie in HD DVD player and the pictures crash down in my house on the fracking credits at the same volume level...


I've been doing this a while, My system is as good as the money im willing to dump into it (15k or so) and the sound track is FRACKED UP on this disc. Or the mixing engineer was just totally high and forgot to press some buttons on the master recording.


I am going to acquire the SD version today and A/B in the same player/ same settings. Will report back when im off the wife's leash.


Twylight

LOL Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. Use the force on your wife!
 
41 - 60 of 853 Posts
Top