AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55" HD Monitor that's just going completely to waste with my HDVR2 D* setup. I love the TiVo features (this is my first TiVo, had it only for 6 months or so, and I don't know how I ever lived without it), but I need a short-term HD solution that will at least sort of integrate with my current setup (no, I'm not under the illusion that I can record HD) and gives me minimally OTA HD and preferably HD D* until the D* HD TiVos hit the street. Suggestions are welcome. Thx!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so what about a D*+OTA tuner for not so much? Anyone done any integrations of a D* HD STB with a DirecTiVo that make them semi-usable for the less technical members of the family? :)

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Anyone done any integrations of a D* HD STB with a DirecTiVo that make them semi-usable for the less technical members of the family?
They aren't really integrated since they are completely independent receivers. My non-technical wife can use the remote to switch to the correct TV input to watch either HD or the DirecTivo.

-Robert

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I was in a similar position. I didn't really want to invest in a lot of equipment knowing that I'd want the HD Tivo as soon as it was available. The cheapest solution from an out-of-pocket perspective was to get some HD channels via cable from Comcast... they will lease me an HD cable box for $5/month. I already get basic programming from them, simply because I have cable internet access, and it's almost as cheap to have basic cable + cable internet as it is to have cable internet as a non-cable subscriber. So for $5/month, I would have at least gotten some local network feeds in HD. But to get things like HBO, etc., in HD, I would have had to up my package with Comcast (and therefore drop the packages with DirecTV).

So I was just honest with DirecTV. Told them I could get into HD with comcast for $5/month, while staying them would have been a sizable investment in equipment. I told them I wanted to know upfront if there was anything they could offer that was more competitive with cable BEFORE I ordered cable and dropped them. I was switched to the customer retention department, and of course was given the "we don't do this for everyone, but since you've been a good customer for so long....". Basically, they offered me the $399 HD upgrade package & install plus $50 for a phase 3 dish, BUT they paid for half of it in the form of a credit. So for $225, I got a box that is capable of receiving HD from both DirecTV and OTA, plus the necessary dish. That was acceptable to me, as I should easily be able to sell it for at least that much when the HD Tivos come out, so I'm not really paying anything extra to enjoy HD in the interim (except their programming charge for HDnet, etc.).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hrm... D* didn't go for it... They basically just gave me a $20/mo credit for 6 months to keep me on board and said that they don't sell HD equipment, so I'd have to pick it up from a retailer...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Artemido
... and said that they don't sell HD equipment, so I'd have to pick it up from a retailer...
You might ask them if they have access to the internet. If so, they can learn about their HDTV hardware offer at http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/HDTV.jsp . They can and do sell HD equipment, I and many people have gotten this $399 deal described on their own web page. Whether or not they'll give the "half off" deal I got is probably a crap shoot. Probably helps that I've been a DirecTV customer for 7-8 years, and I'm also subscribing to the Premiere package. They're already getting $100/month from me, so they can certainly afford to contribute a couple hundred to keep me. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That did the trick. Called the number on the page and said that I was going to have to change to Cox because my wife was seeing all these great deals on HD service. They transferred me to their "retention" department. After explaining the situation, they agreed to give me a $100 credit on the $399 package offer since I don't need the triple LNB dish. Add that to the $120 in service credits and I got an HD setup for $179...sweet... :) Thanks for the pointers, Darin.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am in the same position. However, what I do not understand is, do you now have 2 Dirctv receivers, one tivo and the other HD? If so how does that work. I thought the goal of this was to keep tivo in the interim.

Maybe its just late for me, but thats how I read it.

Thanks,

AJ

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Cool Artemido! :)

politicalpunk, for me, yes. Obviously I can't record HD, but I have the Tivo doing everything it has been doing for SD channels. But at least now I can watch HD channels (on the networks' schedules, and I have to find something to do during commercial breaks). You don't realize how accustomed to TiVo you get until you start watching shows without it. :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you need a triple LNB setup... my Terk 18x20 has 3 lnbs with 4 outputs, meaning that it has a built-in multi-switch... so, it's more about outputs than lnbs... to use both systems simultaneously, you'd need two outputs for the DVR and 1 for the HD receiver.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I also need a transitional and INEXPENSIVE HD solution, however, my situation is that I currently have Comcast cable and there is no HD available through it. When the HD Tivo is released, I'll kick Comcast and sign up with direcTV. However, until then, I need an inexpensive STB that will take in OTA HD. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.