AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know - big price difference. I figure either get something pretty decent or go with the cheapest unit I can stand.

I am building a dedicated HT. Dimensions are 18' wide x 19' long with 9.5' ceilings. We're doing two rows of seating with first row 10' back. I'll be using an acoustically transparent screen with speakers from DIYSG (1099's for LCR's and Stonehenge subs with 18" UXL drivers).

According to the calculator on projector websites, the Benq would put throw out 14FL while the Sony would do even less at 12 FL. I have no idea what lamp mode these calculations are based on. Both numbers are based on the pj minimum throw distance to get the brightest image.

My screen is likely to be a 140" wide AT Falcon screen with a 1.1 gain.

I'd prefer a 2.35 screen but I know it's silly to use an anamorphic lens with the low cost Benq. I could buy a used lens know that I'll be using it with my next 5k pj however. But I'm not even sure the Benq supports an anamorphic lens.

I suppose I could just mask off the screen above and below the image. Either that or just get a really cheap screen or a DIY one for now.

So what does the brain trust think? The hard to answer question is - is the Sony that much better than the Benq that I should spend the extra $$ now?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong with the benq, it has never worked for me because of mounting reasons (I am 13 foot back from my screen and I project onto a 100" screen) thats why I mentioned the epson it can be mounted anywhere in your state it seems and still get a image on your screen (a bit dramatic but you get the idea). Plus it has a GREAT 2D picture adn a 2 year warranty for 549 hard to beat in my opinnion, not sure on w1070 but I dont think its even a year, so I would always feel better about a longer warranty as I had a optoma go just outside of a year with a fan issue and they wanted 600+ to repair.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
If its a truly dedicated room (Dark non reflective ceiling,walls and floor) than the better projectors are the way to go (epson 5030, Panny AE8000 or Sony HW40ES or even step up to a JVC). If that is not the case than the BenQ is a smarter choice for the price difference.

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
I know - big price difference. I figure either get something pretty decent or go with the cheapest unit I can stand.

I am building a dedicated HT. Dimensions are 18' wide x 19' long with 9.5' ceilings. We're doing two rows of seating with first row 10' back. I'll be using an acoustically transparent screen with speakers from DIYSG (1099's for LCR's and Stonehenge subs with 18" UXL drivers).

According to the calculator on projector websites, the Benq would put throw out 14FL while the Sony would do even less at 12 FL. I have no idea what lamp mode these calculations are based on. Both numbers are based on the pj minimum throw distance to get the brightest image.

My screen is likely to be a 140" wide AT Falcon screen with a 1.1 gain.

I'd prefer a 2.35 screen but I know it's silly to use an anamorphic lens with the low cost Benq. I could buy a used lens know that I'll be using it with my next 5k pj however. But I'm not even sure the Benq supports an anamorphic lens.

I suppose I could just mask off the screen above and below the image. Either that or just get a really cheap screen or a DIY one for now.

So what does the brain trust think? The hard to answer question is - is the Sony that much better than the Benq that I should spend the extra $$ now?

The Sony IMO is much better than the BenQ. Also, I really have no reason to believe that good 4K projectors will be priced under $3K ( this is the $3K and under forum section after all ) for 3 - 4 years. Get something you will enjoy, because the wait likely will be longer than you think. Might as well wait on 4K until it matures a bit. And unless you sit close to a really big screen, you'll have a hard time telling a 2K projector from a 4K projector anyway !

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mind spending the extra for the Sony so long as there is a clear and perceptible gain in performance over the Benq. I only bring up the BenQ because it's such a screaming bargain. I'm likely to pair any projector with an anamorphic lens. I guess I'll wait until the Sony goes on sale again.

·
Registered
77" A80J, 48" LG C1, X4700H, 5.1.2 Infinity Primus + Bic PL200
2,167 Posts
I don't mind spending the extra for the Sony so long as there is a clear and perceptible gain in performance over the Benq. I only bring up the BenQ because it's such a screaming bargain. I'm likely to pair any projector with an anamorphic lens. I guess I'll wait until the Sony goes on sale again.
I have an Epson hc2030 which is very similar to the W1070. I just bought the Sony, and told my self I wouldn't keep it unless it blew me away. It did in many areas. I recently picked up a Visio p series 4k TV, and the Sony projector has more pop and a more vibrant image then that does. Blacks aren't as deep, but the Visio is a FALD set.

That said, I was not happy with the artifacts the reality creation setting causes, and without RC on, the image is way softer then it should be. For this reason its going back.

Are you going to be gaming on it? If not, or not seriously so, the Epson 5025UB is $1700 and comes with a second bulb for free ($250-300 value). It would have better blacks in your darkened theater room, and no artificial artifacts from over sharpening. Also it has far more placement options.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
4k projectors exist now, what are you waiting for?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The issues with the Epson are the fan noise and lag time for gaming. I'm not a big gamer but I do play once in a while.

I have an Epson hc2030 which is very similar to the W1070. I just bought the Sony, and told my self I wouldn't keep it unless it blew me away. It did in many areas. I recently picked up a Visio p series 4k TV, and the Sony projector has more pop and a more vibrant image then that does. Blacks aren't as deep, but the Visio is a FALD set.

That said, I was not happy with the artifacts the reality creation setting causes, and without RC on, the image is way softer then it should be. For this reason its going back.

Are you going to be gaming on it? If not, or not seriously so, the Epson 5025UB is $1700 and comes with a second bulb for free ($250-300 value). It would have better blacks in your darkened theater room, and no artificial artifacts from over sharpening. Also it has far more placement options.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4k projectors exist now, what are you waiting for?
Apparently there are a lot of unknowns in regards to the compatibility of the current 4k projectors to the upcoming UHD BluRays, the color space, and hdmi version. I'm loathe to be spending 10k or more for something that won't be fully compatible. Heck even the 4k standard seems to be in flux still. And almost no movies are truly mastered in 4k.

·
Registered
77" A80J, 48" LG C1, X4700H, 5.1.2 Infinity Primus + Bic PL200
2,167 Posts
The issues with the Epson are the fan noise and lag time for gaming. I'm not a big gamer but I do play once in a while.
Fan noise would be less then the W1070 on the Epson, and at your distance wouldn't be an issue.

For input lag, on the HC2030 switching from fine to fast, the only thing I see a difference in is text. In game, Ive tried really hard to notice it, and really don't see anything. There might be a few more jaggies, but that's worst case, and in motion is very hard to see.

Since the Sony is not on sale anywhere, I would suggest ordering the Epson from visual apex first. They will give you a pre-paid shipping label to send it back if you don't like it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you are looking at these two models, there will not be an affordable true 4K projector in your price range before your purchase dies and you need a replacement.
A good 3-5yrs out.

There is always the next best thing on the horizon...

As noted, buy the Benq from a place that will let you return it hassle free and upgrade to the Sony if you can't live with it. Let your cheapness factor be the measure...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let your cheapness factor be the measure...
I like your philosophy :)

However am I correct that the Benq can not work with an anamorphic lens? If so the smart thing to do would be to build a cheap DIY 16x9 screen for now and then upgrade to a 2.35 screen later on but I'm not sure it's worth all that hassle considering I'm building a dedicated HT.

And to be clear, I'm not looking or expecting a 4k projector to come down to sub-3k. I'm just not willing to spend $9k or more for one that may or may not be compatible with the true 4k standards. Right now it seems I have to spend at least $15k or more to get that and even then it's not a sure bet.

I have spend sizeable sums on HT in the past . I realize technology is constantly changing. But right now we are at the dawn of the 4k age and early adoption seems very pricey and perhaps not fully compatible.

That's why I posed the original question . The Benq seems to be a mighty fine projector for the $. Is the Sony that much better that I would appreciate the almost $2k difference? I guess there's only one way to really tell. But I thought I would pose the question to get feedback from the braintrust here. Perhaps someone has gone down this same path.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I like your philosophy :)

However am I correct that the Benq can not work with an anamorphic lens? If so the smart thing to do would be to build a cheap DIY 16x9 screen for now and then upgrade to a 2.35 screen later on but I'm not sure it's worth all that hassle considering I'm building a dedicated HT.

And to be clear, I'm not looking or expecting a 4k projector to come down to sub-3k. I'm just not willing to spend $9k or more for one that may or may not be compatible with the true 4k standards. Right now it seems I have to spend at least $15k or more to get that and even then it's not a sure bet.

I have spend sizeable sums on HT in the past . I realize technology is constantly changing. But right now we are at the dawn of the 4k age and early adoption seems very pricey and perhaps not fully compatible.

That's why I posed the original question . The Benq seems to be a mighty fine projector for the $. Is the Sony that much better that I would appreciate the almost $2k difference? I guess there's only one way to really tell. But I thought I would pose the question to get feedback from the braintrust here. Perhaps someone has gone down this same path.
There is nothing preventing the W1070 from working with an anamorphic lens. There may be a lens out there that requires a longer throw than the W1070, but it works fine with my DIY dual-prism lens. One of its "Aspect Ratio" modes is "Letterbox" which does a perfect vertical stretch so you don't even need an external scaler. Few W1070 owners seem to use an A-lens because it is such a large expense to pair with a $700 projector, but an a-lens is like a screen in that it will outlast many projectors.

You might also explore the $950 Benq HC1200. It seems to have all the same qualities as the W1070, but it is even brighter and has a longer throw which might make it an even surer thing for an a-lens. What I have not been able to pin down is whether it has the built-in vertical stretch function. It also has a 3-year warranty, which sounds nice to have.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Apparently there are a lot of unknowns in regards to the compatibility of the current 4k projectors to the upcoming UHD BluRays, the color space, and hdmi version. I'm loathe to be spending 10k or more for something that won't be fully compatible. Heck even the 4k standard seems to be in flux still. And almost no movies are truly mastered in 4k.
Exactly, buy a jvc, enjoy it for 5 years, upgrade to 4k then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts