AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up the 42LG70 a while back and have been relatively pleased with the picture quality when hooked up to my PS3 for both Blu-Rays and PS3 games. However, my main concern is that an LCD just wont deliver the same picture quality when it comes to watching sports in HD or watching Blu-Rays on the PS3. Seeing as though I am either watching sports or movies, I feel a move to Plasma is needed.

I first started looking at Samsung B650 and Samsung B550 thinking I was going to go with one of them (50"), but then slowly started moving towards the Panasonic G10. Now, I am looking at the Panasonic V10 and clearly have no idea where to go with my decision.

Since I am big into movies and sports, will I notice the jitters of the G10? Should I not even look at the Samsungs? Should I look at other brands/models as well? My budget is somewhere around the $1500 mark. I payed $900 for the LG LCD and am not sure if I need to even spend $1500 to have a great movie/sporting experience.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I can't decide if it is worth it to spend the extra money on the V10 over the G10. I wouldn't mind the picture quality of the G10 (even though it's slightly worse than the V10), but the juddering while watching Blu-rays is a big turn off. Looking at some examples on youtube, it just about makes it unwatchable (admittedly, it's hard to tell if it is the TV or the capture device).

I haven't bought a TV in 10 years - and don't plan on buying one for another 10 years - so I'm leaning more towards the V10. Nothing is completely future proof, but with the V10 at least I know I will be able to enjoy blu-rays (and future devices, I presume) without any glaring problems.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Personally I would stick with Panasonic and Samsung. The AR coating is darker on the B650 Samsungs which will help daytime black levels and make colors deeper so if it were me I would stick with the B650 Samsungs and compare them to the Panasonics.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xb1032- I've heard that before and would definitely agree. On Amazon.com, its a $200 price difference between the 50" B550 and B650. As for the Panasonics, we're looking at $400+ between 50" G10 to the V10.

billjimbob- Considering I don't plan on buying another TV for a while after this purchase, I wouldn't mind spending a little extra money to ensure that I enjoy BluRays thoroughly without wondering why I bought it. My goal is to get in to BestBuy sometime this weekend (since CircuitCity and Fry's are gone) and see if they have these sets up to try and take a look for my self.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess my main question is, considering both the Samsung models are cheaper than the G10 and a lot cheaper than the V10, and considering my main goal is to have a great BluRay and Sports experience, should I avoid the highly rated G10 and go with the Samsung B650? The V10 is almost $1000 more than the B650.. is it THAT much greater?

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
For PQ, the Pannys and Sammys are pretty similar. IMO, reliability is better with Panny (no buzzing and less temp IR issues). If you watch a lot of BluRays, then the V10 makes sense.

·
Registered
201 Posts
IMO, I don't think the V10 is $1000 better than the B650. I just bought a 58B650 for my father-in-law and didn't have any problem with buzzing or temp IR. He is happy with it because Consumer Reports rates it as the best plasma they have reviewed this year.

·
Registered
363 Posts
+1 for B650. With recent prices I've been seeing, I think you'd be crazy to spend nearly 2x more for a V10 vs. a B650. I've seen prices around $1300 from many different places (50").

I'm like you, I mainly watch BluRays and HD sports. The B650 is a GREAT choice for these purposes. Do you have any ambient light in your room? If so, there's another big advantage for the Sammy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rhythmic- My main concern is the BluRay and HD Sports. I'd like to see a football fly or a puck glide across the ice and not see it as a blurry glob that some LCD's have. For BluRay, despite the new low prices of the G10's, the thought of a judder effect would make me regret my purchase instantly. The V10 is expensive, but I figure if I decide to splurge on a V10, might as well pick up a KRP-500M, right?

The only stores in my area that carry TV's are BestBuy and Sears so I'm going to go and try and check them out for myself this weekend.

·
Registered
237 Posts
fyi, sears doesn't carry the v10, at least thats what they told me when i was in there, its too high end. but they should have the other models ur interested in. bb should have them all, at least my bb mag does.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I think the V10 is much better then the 650, what about you?

I rather get the G10 then the 650, just because panasonic is to me more reliable less glitch more ressitant to TIR and better blacks.

i own samsung CRT TUBE so i have nothing towards samsung

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thedoubleg /forum/post/17036984

I guess my main question is, considering both the Samsung models are cheaper than the G10 and a lot cheaper than the V10, and considering my main goal is to have a great BluRay and Sports experience, should I avoid the highly rated G10 and go with the Samsung B650? The V10 is almost $1000 more than the B650.. is it THAT much greater?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.