AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for something that may not exist but I'm giving it a shot here anyway...

I found a bunch of old cassette tapes of my band playing live in the 80s. I dumped them into my computer and want to try to rescue them with some punching up and EQing. Unfortunately I don't have a pair of decent speakers to monitor the EQ changes, so I'm looking for a pair of "honest" colorless speakers that I can use at my desk (or on stands near my desk) to make sure I don't over-EQ these things. oh.. and I'm at around a $400 budget.

I was seriously considering the Magnepan MMG speakers but I don't have enough room in my small studio for proper placement and I would have to buy an amp to drive them properly. The total expense would be about double my budget. I wish I could make the MMGs work but I just don't see a way.

I have a pair of the Audioengine 5s on the way, but I have been told that powered speakers will add a lot of color to the sound. I currently have the Logitech Z680's but I just don't trust them for accurate EQing purposes.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions you folks may have!

Veech

·
Registered
260 Posts
You need to think about getting actual "near field" studio monitors of the sort that are used in recording studios. They are designed specifically for the task.

Brands to consider in your price range include Event, KRK, Yamaha, Mackie, and Behringer. Like all speakers, every studio monitor has its strengths & weaknesses, so I would suggest you try to audition them if you get the chance.

There are good monitors out there for $400. Of course you can drop $100K if you want to!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I'm finding out that this can escalate into financial silliness very quickly. Thanks for the tips, I will start the search.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts