AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not clear on whether you can change transponders and if it does nay good. I get much lower readings on Dish B using Panasonic TU-HDS20 than for Dish A. When I try different transponders they seem to have higher readings. If I change and then go back, the receiver has reverted to the original transponder.

I am looking for any advice on this.

Ian

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
All satellite receivers change transponders on the fly. That is because each channel is assigned to a different transponder. So for example, MTV, MTV2, CNN, CMN, and HBO may all be assigned to transponder 1 and DISN, TOON, HBOW, and SHO may be assigned to transponder 18. When you select TOON, in the example above, the sat receiver will reflect the respective transponder, in this case 18.

Flip through the channels and keep going into the menu to check the transponder if you want to verify what I am talking about. Also, there are some technical sites that show all of the channels and how they are mapped. Check out http://www.dbsforums.com/index_old.html and there may a link to a site called lyngsat that details the satellites for all of the DBS providers.

Tom

·
Registered
476 Posts
The Board of Supervisors of the City of San Francisco just voted to allow transponders to change at City expense.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A little extra info:

The general consensus is that almost everybody who has the two-sat oval dish setup sees generally lower signal strength from the SAT B transponders than SAT A. Why this is the case still seems somewhat unclear, but it's seems pretty common for Sat B transponders to read as much as 10-15 points lower. Most people don't notice any change in picture quality on the Sat B channels from this (NASA, the Spanish Stations, and the 199/509 HD channels if your receiver's capable), although the forum tends to indicate that the Panasonic TU-HDS20 receiver seems to have some difficulties with low signal strength on Sat B that other receivers appear to be more immune to. I have one of these myself and have encountered the same issue, where my other receivers (Sony and RCA) don't seem as finicky.

Tommyboy's correct though, in that you don't need to "switch" transponders - the receiver tunes to the correct one for the channel you're trying to get. If you have a channel giving you a problem and you know what transceiver it's on, though, it's easier to troubleshoot signal strength problems.

Sony receivers automatically set the signal meter to the "right" satellite and transponder based on what channel you were on before you went to the menu in the first place. A minor thing, but a nice feature in my book.

------------------

Andy

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yeah, you just send up a repair man with a toolbox & a new transponder up 22,0000 feet to Geosynchronous orbit and . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.