AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, now that we have, or soon will have, source gear that output HDMI for their HD signals (like the HD Directivo, Samsung Directv recevier, JVC's upcoming D-VHS, and all the new DVD players), how do we transport these video signals across the house?

In the SD world, we had options like modulating video signals on coax, but I haven't heard about anything that will allow transport of HDMI over long distances.

I guess the big push for this for me is to be able to watch the recorded high def DirecTivo programs in the main living room or occationally in the bedroom, etc.

One way would have been to bypass the HDMI problem and network DirecTivos together over Ethernet ala ReplayTV, but Tivo doesn't seem to have/like that functionality.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Tivo does have the functionality on stand alone units just not on DirecTV units. I assume the new HD Tivo's have USB ports like the current SD DirecTivo (and would assume if it did it would be USB 2.0). If then DirecTV would just update their TIVO software to the latest version you would be in business.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Use component video, that is what I do. I go to 3 HDTV displays from one central location using a matrix switch and 4 runs of coax (Pb,Pr,y & digital audio) to each room. I am not letting the FUD around HDCP scare me. If content is ever HDCP protected and wont work over component video, I just wont watch it. I own one dvd player, HTPC, HDSTB Video Processor, and Dtivo, they all go into the matrix switcher and I have cable runs going over 120 feet.

Regards,

B

·
Registered
331 Posts
Gefen ( www.gefen.com ) makes DVI repeaters, which coupled with good-quality cables might get the job done for you. You failed to mention how long the runs were between your source component(s) and the remote locations, so it's hard to say for sure.

Don't be put off by the specs that say it'll take two repeaters to go 45 feet -- with good cable you can go much farther than that with a single repeater in the middle of your run. Make sure you buy from a good dealer who will allow you to return or exchange cables -- you may need to try a couple of different cables and/or lengths to get things working perfectly.

You can also buy media converters which send your DVI signal over a pair of fiber strands plus a cat-5 cable, for distances of up to 100m (330ft) or more. On one hand, they're very expensive ($2500+), but on the other hand, I haven't seen any of these updated to include HDCP yet, so it's a moot point. :)

-T.

PS: In case it wasn't obvious, HDMI == DVI + HDCP + digital audio over tighter spec cable with a smaller connector, so it's easy to go from HDMI to DVI or vice versa.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bt: What kind of matrix switcher do you have? Does it work for full HD (1080i).

I bought a swither last week and it does not work. It is a POS. SO, I am curious what brand and how much you paid for yours.

Thanks,

Reed

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrbadss
Bt: What kind of matrix switcher do you have? Does it work for full HD (1080i).

I bought a swither last week and it does not work. It is a POS. SO, I am curious what brand and how much you paid for yours.

Thanks,

Reed
AutoPatch 1ydm with the Ultra - Wide-band video cards. This setup can handle 400Mhz video, way more bandwidth than any of the HD specs. Their wideband cards can handel 200mhz and the standard video cards supports 35mhz or better. This was a ebay purchase, I got a great deal for ~$250. The system was set up for RGBHV I use the H channel for digital audio. If the equipment only has toslink I use a toslink to coax converter.

I like the Autopatch because it is very easy to control, with ascii commands, and the boards are easily reconfigured with jumpers. If you watch ebay sometimes you can pick these up for a steal. The extron matrix switchers are also good but they seem to trade for higher prices.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you just purchase the backplane for 250 or did the cards come with?

How much were the wideband cards?

How do you control this unit... it says it required ASCII commands.. do you hook it up to a computer?

I am looking for a matrix swticher for my rack with at least 6 inputs and at least 2 outputs (more like 6x3) but everything I have foudn is $1000. I am not willing to pay that much...

Thanks,

Reed

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mrbadss
Did you just purchase the backplane for 250 or did the cards come with?

How much were the wideband cards?

How do you control this unit... it says it required ASCII commands.. do you hook it up to a computer?

I am looking for a matrix swticher for my rack with at least 6 inputs and at least 2 outputs (more like 6x3) but everything I have foudn is $1000. I am not willing to pay that much...

Thanks,

Reed
This was a complete unit with all cards, in fact I recieved 2 1ydm units configured for RGBHV wide band, CY and Stereo Audio. It was a hell of a deal for the price I bought it at. That is the fun of ebay, if you know what you are looking for some times you can find a real steal and other times you can get robbed.

I just checked ebay and there is a autopatch 4ydm that might fit your needs item number 2981399953, it is currently at $250 and closes in ~4 hours. It is not clear if the cards are standard or wide-band cards but it is loaded with 8 input and 8 output cards. If the price stays right it might be worth the risk to see if it meets you needs.

Yes you need a computer of some kind of controller like a crestron system. I use a computer with a rs232 serial connection using girder to send serial commands. the commands are fairly straight forward, it has been a few months since I made any programming changes but this is a basic command.

ci1o3t

That command tells the matrix to change (c) matrix input 1 (i1) to output on matrix output 3 (o3) then execute or take the command (t).

you can either type that in via a terminal emulator or send that string via a program or just hit the buttons on the front of the matrix.

You might also consider extron, the crosspoint systems seem to go for higher prices on ebay. sometimes I have seen some matrix 100 or 200 units for good prices but I don't know much about extron and how easy they are to control.

Other units to consider are

Altinex here is one on ebay 2981953102 (i look into one of these once and if I recall correctly they can be controlled via serial too)

Kramer Item number: 2982396518, I dont think I would take this one is only a 4X2 unit and you would have to ship your audio via a separate matrix. But kramer makes good stuff, I have used some of their other equipment.

Good luck

Regards,

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.