AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an excellent movie about a complexx American Couple (well at least the woman is) that takes a trip down the transsiberian railroad from China to Moscow.

Its both beautiful and bloody, dramatic and subtle, modern and nostalgic. The facial expressions of the actors are superb. Emily Mortimer is fantastic in this movie:

The American couple meets this couple, and the subtle interactions between the two couples is worth the price of the rental alone. Again, its the female actors that steal the show in this movie:

Ben Kinsley is billed as the star, but in actuality, his role is no larger than the other 4.

Theres some breathtaking scenery of Siberia, and it would have actually been a good movie without any violence, but ... violence does happen.

I saw i on Blu-Ray, the transfer was good, the audio was good, but the only incredible parts of this movie was the script and the acting...

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
I say this on BD too.

A good thriller/mystery taking place in an exotic locale with fine acting all-around.

Nice escapism for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I liked this one too...I think I posted on another thread about it

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Watched this serveral months ago. I also enjoyed it just never got around to writting a review. Thanks JohnR. For those that have not seen this it's worth a rent for sure.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Watched this a couple of weeks ago. The first half did a great job of characterization and built some tension. I felt it broke down at that point though, becoming a somewhat contrived and fairly conventional "thriller" (without much in the way of thrills, unfortunately).

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
I thought it was interesting and there was a couple of good twists as well, but it wasn't a "nail-biting" experience you sort of know what's coming. Pacing and direction was superb however, and acting was above average as well. Regarding "exotic locations" well if snow and pine trees means as such with a railroad going through, you got a winner there.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/15421383

Regarding "exotic locations" well if snow and pine trees means as such with a railroad going through, you got a winner there.
LOL!

Another wasted beer out the nose....and New Years Eve is just getting started!

Why you devil you!

You and your hunnic humor.

For those that don't "get" the joke: where I live (Central Oregon), there is "snow and pine trees" up the wazoo this time of year.

Looking out my window right now is exactly like looking out a window of the Siberian Express in the film.

·
23,073 Posts
I watched this last night and thought the movie was quite good until they realized they had to figure out a way to wind down the story and end. The movie was believable up to a certain point. Overall I was disappointed because of this. The "on location" part of the movie is the only thing that made it worth watching wrt to the use of indigenous folk and such.

larry

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/15429921

I watched this last night and thought the movie was quite good until they realized they had to figure out a way to wind down the story and end. The movie was believable up to a certain point. Overall I was disappointed because of this. The "on location" part of the movie is the only thing that made it worth watching wrt to the use of indigenous folk and such.

larry

Agreed....the ending wasn't very satisfying IMO.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with the points about the first half being better than the second half, and the violence detracting from what could have been a great tense drama. But of course that would have been a different story.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Agree with the above posts. Pretty tense until the last 20 minutes or so. The eye contact and facial expressions turned the tension up a notch, and along with the music, were key in making this work. SD PQ wasn’t very good. Some of the dark scenes were reminiscent of The Dark Knight. A better PQ would have made this more enjoyable. As it was, I felt a bit distracted by it. Worth the rent.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/15497964

The BD was enjoyable.

lol

I thought of that as I was watching.

I think I may hold out for the new Panny that was displayed at CES yesterday. If it's only a bells and whistle upgrade and nothing new spec wise, I'll probably get the 35 if I can find one. Got the wife to agree on a new receiver (Marantz) and amp (Emotiva), but I pushed my luck yesterday and mentioned a Blu-ray. Her head started shaking and the eyes were rolling, so I backpedaled real fast.
That was close; I pushed my luck on that one. I don't want to jeopardize the receiver and amp. I'll let the new Panny hit the market and springtime fill the air before I go down that road again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.