1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It never fails to amaze me how HDTVs costing too much seems to be the main complaint. People will spend $30-50k on a car or $2k plus on a computer but not on a better TV. You're right, stupidity has no bounds.

·
Registered
331 Posts
As much as I love my HDTV, let's face it. It's not in the price range for many, many people.

How does one counter the obvious argument of "Is it worth it?" Certainly, those of us who have already purchased one are on board with it, but the price complaint is extremely valid.

The chicken and egg situation is resolving itself with more stations coming on board all the time, but think about your typical homes.

I know some very well off people who have not yet purchased anything larger than a 27" TV in their home. With a decent 27" going for under $300, how do you convince them to make the much bigger plunge?

As nice as a high def picture is, it's not the night and day difference that color added, and color adoption was signifcantly slower.

I have no doubt that HD will eventually become the norm, but I'm not expecting it to be done by 2006.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Actually only that last article is entirely unreasonable. The rest are fairly accurate to the current situation. It is just that their points are fast becoming moot, and will be totally moot in about 12 months. That last article is in what I like to refer to as the "old farts dissing new technology" genre. It's one of journalism's time-honored cliches. When they don't have enough material fill up all their space, they call up some old fart to get crotchity about some new technology and complain about how it is being shoved down our throats. It's really just filler and comic relief, as we all know that in most cases the technology is coming whether the fart likes it or not. No offense to any of you over-60's hanging out around here. If you're here, you probably don't sympathize with Retrograde Old Fartism.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.