AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, so i recently transcoded a few things.

the first was a bunch of music videos that were in vob to mkv with handbrake. while that was running, my phenom x3 was running at 100% cpu (all three cores).

now, when i transcoded some mkv's to mpeg-2 (make a dvd for standalone player) with ConvertXtoDVD i would only run at ~70-80% across the cores. i also tried doing the same type of converting on my laptop which is a duo core and only 1 core ran at 90% while the second stayed at 30-40%.

is handbrake more optimized for multi core's then ConvertXtoDVD or is there a bottleneck somewhere else in the the system?

also, just built a htpc with old parts and a new mobo. i kinda wanna do all the transcoding on that on but not sure which would be better, dual core or tri core (athlon II vs phenom II x3; a x4 is more then i wish to spend). i figure the x3 would be a good boost, but is it worth the extra money (extra $50ish)?

system:

mobo: MSI DKA790GX

CPU: Phenom 8750 Toliman 2.4GHz

GPU: Radeon HD 3870 x2 in CF

RAM: DDR2 800 x2 for 4gig total

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Depending on the codec your transcoding to will depend on its the renderer it uses. Some are more multi core optimized. If it is, then yes the extra core can make a huge difference. If not then not much of a difference.

What codecs were you transcoding to and from? You listed containers but didnt mention the codec-to and from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangles139 /forum/post/16976903

hey, so i recently transcoded a few things.

the first was a bunch of music videos that were in vob to mkv with handbrake. while that was running, my phenom x3 was running at 100% cpu (all three cores).

now, when i transcoded some mkv's to mpeg-2 (make a dvd for standalone player) with ConvertXtoDVD i would only run at ~70-80% across the cores. i also tried doing the same type of converting on my laptop which is a duo core and only 1 core ran at 90% while the second stayed at 30-40%.

is handbrake more optimized for multi core's then ConvertXtoDVD or is there a bottleneck somewhere else in the the system?

also, just built a htpc with old parts and a new mobo. i kinda wanna do all the transcoding on that on but not sure which would be better, dual core or tri core (athlon II vs phenom II x3; a x4 is more then i wish to spend). i figure the x3 would be a good boost, but is it worth the extra money (extra $50ish)?

system:

mobo: MSI DKA790GX

CPU: Phenom 8750 Toliman 2.4GHz

GPU: Radeon HD 3870 x2 in CF

RAM: DDR2 800 x2 for 4gig total

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx /forum/post/16976993

What codecs were you transcoding to and from? You listed containers but didnt mention the codec-to and from.

that is an excellent question. i'm assuming the mkv is h.264, the dvd that i'm making and the vob are both mpeg-2.

so,

mkv to dvd should be h.264 -> mpeg-2

vob to mkv should be mpeg -> h.264

is there a program that tells you for sure?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.