AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a hotel room in Chicago right now and I'm enjoying wonderful music! It's hard to be away from our home system, but having great music on the road makes being away from home on business a lot easier. It also makes vacations so much more enjoyable and romantic.

We travel with an iPod--both for business and pleasure-- and have auditioned many MANY portable stereo speakers, from Sony, Panasonic, Altec Lansing (including the InMotion iM3--which is pretty good) and have settled on our overwhelming favorite: the Philips BA300. The Philips will accept any source that has a stereo mini output, such as a portable CD player.

Most travel speakers are quite anemic: fair treble, mediocre mids and gawdawful bass. The Philips, however, have great treble, excellent mids and surprisingly good bass. The clarity is awesome. The Philips system consists of a center control unit and two satellites that separate up to six feet apart. (The InMoion iM3 has four speakers--two speaker for each channel, but they don't sound as good for some reason and don't separate at all. They are functionally a good mono unit with only so-so bass.) For storage, the two satellites of the Philips BA300 clip together to the center unit and fit into a zippered case that is about 7"x8"x1 3/4. They weigh about nothing. Unfortunately, the included compact and light weight AC adapter does not fit in the case. You can also use 6AA batteries, and rechargeables run for about 15-20 hours at top volume in our experience. We prefer to pack a compact universal mulit-voltage charger than can also charge our cellular phones and portable DVD player.

Well, the sound is outstanding for such tiny speakers! They easily fill a hotel room or cruise ship cabin with wonderful sound that astounds visitors and the room service staff. For best results, place them on the credenza or desk against the wall (to increase the bass), with the speakers angled slightly away from each other. The center unit has a power on/off button, volume control, and a spatial effects button that you may or may not find to your liking. (For the most part, we like the effect unless the music is very loud, in which case it can distort.) We typically put the BA300 speakers volume to the max, and control the volume through the iPod. On a recent cruise down the Danube River, we took the speakers onto the upper deck, placed them against the wall, and cranked them up with Strauss waltzes playing. You could hear them over the entire deck (but not loud in the open air) and everyone got up and started waltzing down the river! What a magical moment!

For the clincher, the price of the Philips set is only $50 through Target.com or Amazon.com (they are actually the same thing). That's about 1/3 the price of the Altec-Lansing InMotion iM3's and a lot better bass and overall sound.

Lest I sound like a commercial, we don't have any relationship with Philips or the consumer electronics industry. We just enjoy the romance of travel and really good products that are a great value--and his one fits both bills. For only 50 bucks, you can afford to be surprised. We've certainly been disappointed at three times the price.

Happy travels to you! And also many thanks to all of you who have been so helpful in putting our home system together!:)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Neil, thanks for the info. I have actually been looking for computer speakers (2.1) for my son to play MP3's from his laptop. For the price I wanted to pay (under $100) I was generally disappointed in what was available. Rather than "waste" money on a 2.1 system, I might consider the BA300's. IYO, would they work well for desktop use - or would they be seriously outperformed by most 2.1 systems because of the lack of a small sub? IOWs, are these strictly for travel because of the small size and travel case?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For desktop use, I would still go with a 2.1 system. The Philips speakers have very good bass for listening to acoustic music, but I doubt they would provide the thumping bass needed for games and electronic music that your son would be looking for. Hey, you can always give them a try. If they are not to your son's liking, then you keep them for yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.