AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having purchased the Silverado HSF I am now worried about it's size. The manual contains a specific warning that it's size is beyond spec and it could come off dusing transport.

I don't often transport my PC often (to and from family home and apartment about twice a year) but I also move it through to the TV room for DVDs.

First of all should I be worried and take the precaution of removing the unit (a lot of hassle if I might have to become a regular Artic Silver purchaser) or can I just lay it on it's side (it's a tower)?

Secondly has anyone tried to make a brace or strut to hold the unit in place?

I just got thinking about precautions having seen the way the AMDs reacted without there HSFs in the TomHardware videos.

Thanks,

Martin

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I have one, but in a desktop case, so moving it isn't much of a worry for me. I would think that you should be fine if you carry it like a desktop case. As far as using it as a desltop case; your case will get warmer inside, and I am not sure about how drives run sideways. I have no idea actually. hmmm, I think the HDs would be the only issue, if any.

But you can tell just by touching it that it does move, and moving around with it would put stress on your CPU. You've got to remember how tall that thing is and the fact that all of it is resting on your CPU contact area and the little rubber rings. That is definitely one Heatsink combo that could really use the screw mounting method that the Alpha PAL 8045 uses.

One thing you could do which might make you feel better is get one of those shims that go around the exposed area of your chip and provide a flat surface. I would check around for opinioons on that one though, as I am not sure how "kosher" they are.

The warning really applys to the number of people who take their PCs to LAN parties on a regular basis, that would most likely be a problem with this heatsink for sure. But caution should be taken when carrying it around.

(personal experience)Also if you are working near your PSU and touch one of the capacitors which still has some juice in it and your arm involuntarily lifts the whole case up and lets it fall down; breathe - you may want to check the contact area again.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.