AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May 2001 -> December 2002. That didn't take long.

I just brought home a Yamaha LPX-500. I got tired of waiting for the Sony HS10, and the Faroudja DCDi, additional contrast, hassle-free DVI, etc, sold me on it. Luckily, I got an insane deal, so it wasn't too painful a step up from the Sony.

Technically this is the wrong forum, but this is where I feel at home, so I thought I'd come run my mouth about it.

I'm not a wine afficianado, so I'm more comfortable here than in the "other" forum. Hehe.

·
Registered
475 Posts
How about a review? I think your model is supposed to be equivalent to the TW100H, so I think posting in this forum would be appropriate.

Thanks and enjoy while the rest of use wait!

Art

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure. My cables aren't quite long enough to make me happy right now, and the ceiling mount doesn't show up until Monday, so I'm borrowing some from a friend later tonight.

After that, I'll definitely take some screenshots and write up my thoughts. Saturday, let's say?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Defiler congrats on the Yam... you can always upgrade to the Sony later on :) Actually I think the Epson is a cheap copy of the Yamaha so ya did good. :D

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK.. My first thought? Yay!

Yes, there is occasional fixed-pattern noise, though I have yet to see it on a DVD.. only on TiVo. However, the overall image quality, contrast, color, scaling, noise level, etc, are all superb.

I tested with a crappy crappy Toshiba SD2700, and I only had appropriately long S-video, not component. Still, even this brought forth a very nice image. Even on a white wall, the black levels are unobtrusive.

I haven't even had a chance to assemble my screen, and I'm already happy.

Xbox fans: I played several hours of Colin McRae 3, Tony Hawk 4, Dead or Alive 3, etc in widescreen. The DCDi processing is no joke. Even over S-video, very very smooth.

Screen door is a total non-issue for me with this projector. Others may feel differently, of course.

I'll check back in this weekend with screenshots, component/progressive/DVI experiences, etc.. hopefully after getting my Da-Lite High Contrast screen rigged up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.