Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick recap on certain items:

Saw this last night in the downstair TV and it looked quite amazing. I'll have to blow it up upstair and make sure, but the colors and details were impressive. I'd venture to say that there is more computer/CGI than traditional animation. The story didn't really draw me in, and felt rushed in various aspects, but ultimately it was an entertaining time.

BTW, two other things. First there was a preview for the upcoming Lion King-Special Edition DVD, where they mention the addition of new footage and effects. Did I hear this right ? Are they modifying the original or are they talking about extra scenes you can view separately ? I hope I'm wrong on this one.

Second, there was a VERY nice looking preview for the new Pixar flick called "Finding Nemo". This is the first computer animation of water (above and below the sea) which resembled the real thing. The images looked gorgeous, it is clear this will be the next dealer demo king. Time to give the Monsters/Toys a break, seems fitting that another Pixar movie replaces them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LMDA1
Just a quick recap on certain items:

Saw this last night in the downstair TV and it looked quite amazing. I'll have to blow it up upstair and make sure, but the colors and details were impressive. I'd venture to say that there is more computer/CGI than traditional animation. The story didn't really draw me in, and felt rushed in various aspects, but ultimately it was an entertaining time.

BTW, two other things. First there was a preview for the upcoming Lion King-Special Edition DVD, where they mention the addition of new footage and effects. Did I hear this right ? Are they modifying the original or are they talking about extra scenes you can view separately ? I hope I'm wrong on this one.

Second, there was a VERY nice looking preview for the new Pixar flick called "Finding Nemo". This is the first computer animation of water (above and below the sea) which resembled the real thing. The images looked gorgeous, it is clear this will be the next dealer demo king. Time to give the Monsters/Toys a break, seems fitting that another Pixar movie replaces them.

Watched Treasure Planet last night on my HD RPTV and it looked fantastic. It was a visual treat and I also thought that the Dolby Digital track was outstanding. It wasn't one of Disney's finest films, but it was quite enjoyable.

the additional Lion King footage is a musical number- like in Beauty and the Beast. Whether or not it will be packaged like BatB(separate original theatrical version and special edition versions) is beyond me.

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yojimbo75
the additional Lion King footage is a musical number- like in Beauty and the Beast. Whether or not it will be packaged like BatB(separate original theatrical version and special edition versions) is beyond me.
The disc will have both versions of the movie. Like the Beauty and the Beast disc, most likely both editions will be based off the re-animated IMAX version, and the real original theatrical animation will be completely missing.

·
Registered
27,200 Posts
Is the aspect ratio of that film 1.66 (pillar boxed)??

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Yes, it's 1.66

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I havent seen the movie yet and have no opinion except that my kids liked it at the movies, but this movie was a financial disaster for Disney and I have a couple of clients who are animators for Disney who were really impacted by the failure of this movie

·
Registered
326 Posts
Treasure Planet was a really great movie!

I've a theory about it's boxoffice downfall: Treasure Planet was obviously aimed (mostly) at a boy audience... ages 10-16. Now, if you know anything about boys of that age... it's just not "cool" to go see a Disney movie... (no matter how much they might actually want to see it!). It's all about the pg13 action/superhero stuff. In the halls of the Junior-High,.... Disney is looked upon as "baby movies".

Hopefully... the DVD will pull in a much larger audience.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Heck, I have twin 8 year old boys who think they've outgrown animated movies. Their favorite movie by far is XXX (I know, negligent Dad), but they also went through the same fanboy phases with LOTR, AOTC, Spiderman, etc.

Aiming cartoons at a 10-16 YO age group would be a major blunder - even though they DID like "Spirited Away". But to really get their enthusiasm there has to be at least one big dumb guy blowing stuff up.

Quote: "Daddy, is the XXX guy retarded? It's cool watching retarded people blowing stuff up." Heeeelp!!! Treasure Planet anyone?

·
Registered
347 Posts
My 8 year old really liked Treasure Planet. It certainly was aimed at the same age group as Iron Giant and Star Wars Episode 1. I was frustrated with it - the mixure of 2D and 3D animation was far from consistent and even the character animation was inconsistent. The cat creature thing was awful, as was the robot. But it had it's moments, mostly because the strength of the classic story managed somehow to burst through the mayonnaise and other dressings that Disney so liberally slapped on top of it.

I think this film showed to me that Disney has lost favour to Pixar, who are totally showing them up on every front. A few years ago TP may have been acceptable, but after the treats that Pixar has lavished us with, Disney is gasping to keep up!

(And just to clarify: Disney is NOT the same as Pixar.)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Red-3
My 8 year old really liked Treasure Planet. It certainly was aimed at the same age group as Iron Giant and Star Wars Episode 1. I was frustrated with it - the mixure of 2D and 3D animation was far from consistent and even the character animation was inconsistent. The cat creature thing was awful, as was the robot. But it had it's moments, mostly because the strength of the classic story managed somehow to burst through the mayonnaise and other dressings that Disney so liberally slapped on top of it.

I think this film showed to me that Disney has lost favour to Pixar, who are totally showing them up on every front. A few years ago TP may have been acceptable, but after the treats that Pixar has lavished us with, Disney is gasping to keep up!

(And just to clarify: Disney is NOT the same as Pixar.)
Lord knows that I am not trying to show Disney any kind of loyalty, but I personally don't think Disney was shown up. This was not, to be sure, their best outing, but it was not horrible. When you make as many animated features as they do, some are going to inevitably disappoint. Let's not forget that Lilo and Stitch(last year) was a critical and commercial success. Disney is still as viable as anyone else in the market. They simply made a film that did not pull in their usual audience; at the same time, they spent way to much on this film- reportedly well over $100 million. They will probably learn from this and make more audience oriented films with a less extravagant budget.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Red-3
The cat creature thing was awful,
Was it?? I was too busy swooning over Emma Thompson's voice to notice. Rooowwl!! :D

BTW, the film had eye-candy galore but even on a small monitor (my projector is down... AGAIN...) I saw a lot of halos. I'm surprised it holds up that well on a big screen setup. I liked the film much better than Atlantis but I totally agree that aiming a Disney flick at the young adolescent boy market was a big boo-boo. maybe it will do well on video where they can watch it without their friends catching them, or make excuses- "Yeah, my DAD rented it and MADE me watch it" :D

·
Registered
15,495 Posts
The Lion King did not have any musical numbers put back in for the IMAX re-rendered version. I don't know what they'll do with the disc, but the specs. do show this time a welcomed DTS soundtrack.

This time I hope Disney doesn't pull a Beauty and the Beast and cram a lot of stuff on the disc with the movie. There was no need to put the work in progress cut on their too and a bunch of other extras. It did suffer from some compression anomalies because of it. All we needed was the IMAX version and well done DTS and Dolby Digital tracks and leave all the extra stuff to a disc two and three. Afterall, it's supposed to be a special Platinum Edition for those films that won't be shown more than once in 10 years; one extra $.02 disc wouldn't have killed them!

Dan

·
Registered
897 Posts
The family sat down to this one last night. Our unanimous vote would be that it was entertaining. The picture was stunning on the PJ and the sound quality top-notch. What the picture may have lacked in uniformity it more that made up for in pure spectacle. Brilliant, deep colours, sweeping vistas.

The story was a straight reworking of Treasure Island with some typical Disney cute touches. The 'morph' creature was a family favorite.

It isn't the best animated feature but it sure is a pleasant way to kill 90 or so minutes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
There is just too much competition in the animation field today. From a character point of view, it looks like mid-90's stuff. The faces lack expression compared to the characters in Shrek and Monster's Inc. Who knows what kids are expecting when they go to see a movie?

However, the object and space animation are like nothing we've seen before. The solar fires, nebula glow, swirling space objects, etc., are a quantum leap better than Titan AE. TP even beats the scene in Shrek with the bridge over a fiery chasm. TP is the state of the art in flame animation.

EE is most visible when the scaliwags are presented on deck (between the 26 - 30 minute marks). It's annoying, and indicates that the telecinist/masterer could have done a better job.

Nevertheless, for $19 or $20, this is a wonderful dvd to own. For students of animation, it's worth it just for the extras and commentary. And, at Best Buy, you can save $4 when you buy it with Treasure Island. Just because something doesn't do well at the box office does not mean that it won't gain a following when it comes out on dvd. Look at Iron Giant. How many of you saw this in a theater?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The reason why Treasure Planet failed at the box office can be summed up in two words:

Harry Potter.

The marketing execs that decided to put TP up against HP last November probably lost their jobs.

·
Registered
684 Posts
We enjoyed it quite a bit. It wasn't the best Disney movie, but it was a heck of a lot better than that Atlantis abomonation. Plus the video and audio were some of the best I've seen on DVD. Great eye candy. The animation was quite nice as well

- Cryo

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gioman
The reason why Treasure Planet failed at the box office can be summed up in two words:

Harry Potter.

The marketing execs that decided to put TP up against HP last November probably lost their jobs.
Very good point. Now that I think about it most of the children in my extended family were talking much more about HP. I believe that that my nephew, who generally sees Disney movies several times, went to see HP multiple times, but only saw TP once. Don't know if it is because they were out at the same time, but it is definitely possible. If so...Disney will be careful not to tangle with the Hogwarts posse when Prisoner of Azkaban is released.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Decidedly mediocre. I know this was suppossed to be the big Disney hit for last year but it was easily outclassed by the lower budget (and larger box office) of Lilo and Stitch.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Just checked this movie out...well, I never finished it before sending it back to the video store. I can say, the EE on this movie distracted me more than on any other movie I have...even Lilo and Stitch. The colors were fantastic, but the halos...every nice sharp animation line was almost blurry because of the halos, especially aroud the main characters face. I was watching on a 100" wide screen, I'm sure that didn't help, but oh the halos. Why, oh why must otherwise nice tranfers be marred by this sort of garbage. [/rant off]

Bricktop

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.