AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to get things together for my first HT build in my basement, a few things of note right off the bat...

1. My wife and I have been through it all in the past dealing with water issues in basements, if water doesn't come in from the outside, then it comes through the inside somewhere, somehow, and when something leaks, it has a funny habit of making its way to the basement. We haven't had water get in our new house from the outside yet but we have already had 3 plumbing issues that made us very thankful that our basement was bare concrete. We keep everything stored down there on top of insulation foam blocks to keep it away from potential water damage.

2. Our basement ceilings are short, I thought that all basements these days had a minimum of 90" ceilings but ours doesn't for some reason, it is about 87", in our HT area, there is a massive duct that takes the height down to about 78" or so.

What this means is that I do not have the height to install a subfloor in our basement and have zero interest in putting something down that will get damaged when wet. Honestly I think the only thing we will entertain at this point for our basement is painted concrete, no permanent carpet, hardwood or laminate for us.

Unfortunately, this will wreak havoc on sound quality in the theater so I was curious if there are any ideas for how I could treat the floor with something that could be easily removed. My first thought would be a large soft area rug with a thick pad underneath, the theater room itself will only about 10.75 x 16 so this shouldn't be hard. However, I am open to other possibilities if they will work well, one thought I had was rubber flooring like they use in gyms. It seems that this would have a bunch of advantages, it would have excellent light absorption, much better sound control, warmer and softer feel under toe and best of all, its water resistant.

Has anyone tried a similar approach? I didn't come across any in my searches, most people using rubber in theaters are trying to use it for soundproofing.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,172 Posts

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that was actually the website I was looking at, I am thinking we may still throw an area rug down over top of them. I am guessing that since they are used for home gyms, that they will be fine with furniture resting on top of them? I can't imagine many things being harder on flooring than one of those massive weight machines digging in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts