AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up my speakers in the new HT to get an idea of what I am facing, and found something I really didn't expect.....

Basics: The room is roughly 24' x 12' x 7.75', with some funky (almost random locations) ceiling soffits enclosing ductwork. [One of these will do a great job of hiding the projector....] Walls are venetian plaster, floor is thick-pile carpet.

I expected some bass nodes below 100 Hz, and I expected some high-end harshness from the plaster. I had already told my wife to expect some corner traps and/or wall coverings.

Some quick work with TrueRTA, though, showed just the opposite. I apparently have some serious resonance just below 200 Hz.

Questions: What should I look for as the driving factor for this frequency, and what sort of treatment can be used to calm this region down?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauneyM /forum/post/0

What should I look for as the driving factor for this frequency, and what sort of treatment can be used to calm this region down?

All rooms have extensive peaks and nulls at all frequencies. The key to finding them is to measure properly. Most RTA programs have too low a resolution to see the true response. Especially if you're using the free version of TrueRTA that displays no finer than 1/3 octave.

It doesn't really matter what's causing this particular resonance because the solution is the same regardless: Broadband absorption that works well to as low a frequency as possible.

--Ethan

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer /forum/post/0

It doesn't really matter what's causing this particular resonance because the solution is the same regardless: Broadband absorption that works well to as low a frequency as possible.

Understood - thanks for the response.

I guess there really is no such thing as a free lunch, is there?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.