AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a DST3000 and TREK dual dish via onecall. The dish has the swith integrated into it and the LNBs plug directly into the switch. I had a hell of a time getting it aligned and working because one of the LNBs was bad. Onecall replaced the dish, and the replacement had a bad LNB, but between the two, I got it working, for a week. Now one of the LNBs appears to be flaky. That is 3 out of 4 bad LNBs. I never had a problem with my old single LNB dish, and I haven't heard of anyone being plagued like this with bad LNBs. I've learned from this forum that if the LNB is showing signal strength for all odd transponders while the even are 0, or vica versa, then it is a bad LNB, and that is what I've encountered. Am I missing something? Could I have messed up somehow? Is TREK quality not so good? What could cause a problem like this? Any comments would be appreciated.

Scott

·
Registered
200 Posts
Scott,

I got the same dish a month ago.

I have not had any problems with the LNB's, connections, or otherwise. I did have to relocate the mount because my prior round dish, on the corner of my house, could be pointed directly south.... the elliptical bumped up against the side corner and was off a full 8 degrees azimuth. After the mount move, no problems.

Sorry to hear you had problems.

dan

·
Registered
200 Posts
oh, one other silly thing--- and I am sure you have it right... I intially installed the LNB's upside down--they obviously do not work in that position... and looked pretty funny since they really were not pointing at the center of the dish. LOL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had my Terk eliptical dish (model S22?) in for about a month with no problems. The guy who did the install said it was the dish to have. I believed him since it wasn't the free professional install deal and he'd worked for RCA and done large multi-set antenna installs for hospitals and hotels since '72. He definitely knew what he was doing. It was nice to be able to quickly run signal to 4 outlets in the house too with the built-in multi-switch.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
There are only two xastings for the elliptical dish that I know of, ChannelMaster and KTI. DirectTV anadf every one and their brother prints their logos on these dishes. LNBs come from at least a half dozen sources that I know of, some are just better built than others but even the best is not up to the standards of C-band LNBs. Quality is a function of low pricing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I powered my DST-3000 today, and I'm now getting a good signal on all transponders @#$%^&*. This will drive me nuts! Could this be related to cable length? I am diplexing an antenna on this cable, and I'm then splitting the signal with yet another diplexor to feed my Hipix card, and the DST-3000's built in diplexor. I don't know how much DC current is needed to drive the LNBs, but I'll use my multimeter to take readings from now on. My total cable run length is less than 100 feet.

P L A I S H A L P !

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
LNBs require 350-400 mA to operate, Receivers genarally put out around 600 mA to the LNBs. Long cable runs generally cause problems of voltage drop causing the LNB to not select correct polorazation. Sounds like a lot of diplexing going on in your set up, may need to check power pass is on the right ports all the way down the line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.