AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing tremendous pixelization with major dropouts on one of my DSS units (an RCA 2nd generation unit). It is hooked up to a Trunkline 4x4 multiswitch. I tried changing which receiver output it is connected to, but that hasn't affected the problem. I don't notice it on my other receivers.

On a working receiver, the signal strength on Transponder 10 is about 96. On the non-working receiver, the signal strength varies between 0 and 67, back to 0, then to 63, etc...

Is it a defective receiver, or is the multiswitch bad. I haven't had any of the pixelization on the other 3 receivers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Check the cable connectors. If they were made by you or the installer, chances are good that the crimps are a bit faulty or possibly a short in the connector. Replace the connectors and see if the problem goes away.

Good Luck,

SteveK

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Could be the sign of a failing LNB...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll replace the connector from the Multiswitch to the run to the receiver and see if that does anything.

If it is an LNB that is going, why would it affect only 1 of my 3 RCA receivers??

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Oops I missed the 'I don't notice it on my other receivers' part. It very well could be a bad receiver, but check the connectors before replacing the IRD.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I would suggest check to see if there are any other electrical devices or power cords too near the receiver. VCR, computer, anything. Also, if you have even a cheap surge surpressor for your power plug it seems to help my receiver's reception.

Also, try swapping receivers around to see if it is in the line or the receiver.

·
Registered
83 Posts
WOW !!!! This is really ironic. I usually spend my time in the HDTV section of this forum but came here just to see if.......and to my amazement....!!!

This same exact thing happened to me last night. I have 5 active receivers on two dishes; one round ( 3 receivers ) and one oval ( 2 receivers ). One of my receivers on the round dish ( Hughes 1st generation ) is experiencing pixelation and dropouts on most of the channels in the 200-250 range, a couple of the 600's but everything else is fine on this receiver and perfect on the other four. I called DirecTv last night and they were useless in suggesting the standard " unplug the receiver for 15 seconds" fix but that didn't work. I looked at it again this morning and the same problem exists. I was hoping it would magically go away overnight.

Sure would like to hear anybody else's suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im haveing the same problem with signal loss. I have 4 receivers and I lose signal at all of them. Sometimes i can go for 2 weeks with out a problem then it starts. I have changed out the LNB, Multi switch and nothing helps. I have had 2 tv going at the same time and they will both lose signal for a sec at the same time. I had the system installed and had te cable all check. Can anyone help.

thanks Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.