AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post a little info on the project I just drew up and am about to start.

The enclosures will be twin 10 cu. ft. net (294 l) with a 6 inch port tuned to 16 hz.Exterior dimensions are 32x30x23.75 The drivers will be the AV15X . I will be powering each with an EP2500 and my MIC2200 will be on high-pass duty.

John will hopefully have my first driver shipped out this week and I will be ordering the second pretty soon .

This is my first ported design from scratch so I welcome corrective criticism from you guys if you see something that should be addressed , ( other than my lack of google sketchup skills lol ).

I am posting a couple of graphs below. The vent velocity is pretty high below tuning but hopefully wont be an issue with the use of the high-pass.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
How far is that port opening to that back wall? The reason I ask is it really shouldn't be any closer than 6". Also, are you planing some kind of port flare?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The port is just over 6 inches away from the back wall. The front baffle will incorporate the port flare and I havent drawn it up yet.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes , I have a pair . You are correct ,I ran the plot with the EP2500 in stereo and I should have plenty of headroom .

Hmmmm , seems I need another project to put the remaining EP2500 to use.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am thinking of using mdf and then using laminate flooring to cover it like I did when I built Dan's Easy Button design.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I haven't seen pics, but how do you finish the corners? How do you keep the laminate flooring from rattling against the cabinet?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The corners are mitered and the laminate has the backing removed and then it is secured with contact cement. Take my word for it , the laminate is not going to rattle.

The baffle on this particular box is glued up 3/4 red oak.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Nice. I was envisioning running the laminate boards end-to-end at the corners and wondering how you'd handle that. On the top corners, front to back, are those boards bevel-cut against each other? With a laminate, that must be a sharp corner due to the thinness of the lam?

Jason

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The corners are mitered (beveled) and then I used the iron on edgebanding to cover the cuts.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My drivers arrived today and they look awesome. Nice work John !

I have them mounted in the enclosures and hope to get some REW graphs posted this weekend.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ricci ,

The build quality on these drivers is superb. I am also quite impressed with the sound although I only had a short time to run WoTW at modest volumes last night. I will begin getting these set up tonight and will continue with modest playback levels . This weekend I plan on doing the REW sweeps and testing different placement options.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hi Thomas, Any more info yet? I've had a few people asking about your results.

John

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey John ,

I have been really busy of late but I will try my best to get some REW graphs posted here and on the AE forums.

I am really liking these drivers. They have fantastic SQ and are seriously clean.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Very nice man!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is the initial REW graph with no eq and no smoothing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts